Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > ARF or RTF
Reload this Page >

Phoenix Model Sbach 342 1.20 GP/EP ARF 65.5"

Notices
ARF or RTF Discuss ARF (Almost Ready to Fly) radio control airplanes here.

Phoenix Model Sbach 342 1.20 GP/EP ARF 65.5"

Old 09-02-2017, 02:59 AM
mitchesx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sbach 342 1.20

The airplane still needs weight even with the Rimfire 1.20. I'm using 6S 4000 packs, and I still need 12-14 oz of weight. Even with a 5000 you're going to need 10-12 oz of weight. It will have plenty of power no matter what. I don't know that it will hover, but it is a great all around sport flying plane. It's a joy to fly. I'm sure it will handle some wind with ease. Expect 6-7 minute flight times with a 5000, I get 5 with the 4000's; which is the biggest disappointment since switching from gas. But, at least, now, it gets flown more. I've doubled or tripled the number of flights I flew with it last year in less than a month. I made few mods to mine, btw. I left the 3/16 bass strip around the lip in the fuse, and I coated the inside with a light coat of finishing epoxy to stiffen and strengthen. It worked really well. Let me know if there's any other info or help I can give you. Simply put: I love mine!

Last edited by mitchesx; 09-02-2017 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:01 AM
mitchesx

Oh yeah, prop size etc... I'm flying a 16X8 e prop. A 15X10 might be more efficient. I hadn't tried that yet. As far as watts, that one I have not checked. I'm sure there are calcs out there that will help figure that out.
Old 09-02-2017, 03:57 AM
pilotpete2

Many thanks for your response!
I'm gonna pull the trigger as soon as Tower gets them in stock.
This will be my first time going to a 5 or 6S setup, I'm looking at inverter generators, the Ryobi's from Depot look real nice, but will they hold up like a Honda?
I do fly smaller gassers as well, so if the electric conversion disappoints, I can always hang a DLE20ra on it, I think that would haul it around real nice as well.
I'm not a 3D flyer, I don't look for unlimted vertical.
A friend recently got one of the GP Factor 30cc planes and is running 10S 5000mAh with the recommended Rimfire 160. Awsome performance! He can get 10 minutes of mixed aerobatics and still have about 30% remaining with packs barely warm, very impressive!
Best regards,
Pete
Old 01-17-2018, 04:06 PM
pilotpete2

Bump!
Well, I received my Phoenix SBach today.
Very nice covering and overall construction!
I have run into one issue though. It seems that the wing tube guide through the fuselage is a little tight. The wing tube fits the wing panels, but a tad snug. I can't even force the tube through the fuselage. I tried some coarse sandpaper wrapped around a smaller diameter wing tube, but still no go
I wish could chuck the metal tube up in a lathe and take off the tiniest amount of material. That wing tube is massive and is probably overkill, at least for my flying style.
Anyone else run into a fug snit with the wing tube?
Pete
Old 01-18-2018, 04:11 AM
watdazit

Default A bit porky

To balance my new Sbach it needed 900 grams (2 lbs) of lead up front with a DLE 20RA engine. This is not good as the engine not only has to haul the plane around but that extra lead as well. I am going to try an RCGF 21cc twin. It weighs more than the DLE and that extra weight is further forward so I should be able to take off some of that 900g of lead. I am not very happy as this plane is supposed to be an aerobatic plane. The DLE20 is supposed to put out 2.5hp and the RCGF 2.8hp so I might have the advantage of a little bit more power to haul the weight. Time will tell. I am just waiting for the twin to be delivered.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:55 PM
watdazit

Default A bit porky

I have fitted the RCGF 21 twin and have been able to reduce the amount of lead from 900g to 540g. The cowl fits withou having to cut holes for the plugs which is good. 540g is still a lot of lead for a 65" plane but I suppose the next test is to fly it and see.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	RCGF 21 a.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	579.0 KB
ID:	2253118   Click image for larger version

Name:	RCGF 21 b.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	573.0 KB
ID:	2253119  

Last edited by watdazit; 02-02-2018 at 11:04 PM.
Old 03-29-2018, 11:57 AM
pilotpete2

Quick question regarding measuring the CG location on the SBach.
When I looked at the manual, it gives the CG at 4.5" or 115mm from the leading edge. The drawing in the manual seems to indicate that the 4.5" is not measured at the fuselage, or wing root, but doesn't specify how far out from the fuselage. Just wondering where others were measuring the CG from.
Thanks,
Pete
Old 02-20-2019, 02:10 PM
jeffharris75

WATDAZIT
hi will you please describe your aluminum gear mod? I am building this kit now.

Last edited by jeffharris75; 02-20-2019 at 02:16 PM.
Old 02-20-2019, 02:14 PM
jeffharris75

Hi, I am building this kit now. Where did you get the moor mount for the twin? Have you finished the kit yet?
Old 03-16-2019, 11:59 PM
watdazit

Originally Posted by jeffharris75
WATDAZIT
hi will you please describe your aluminum gear mod? I am building this kit now.
Sorry about the delay in replying. I am not sure of what you are asking here.
Originally Posted by jeffharris75
Hi, I am building this kit now. Where did you get the moor mount for the twin? Have you finished the kit yet?

I suppose you mean the standoffs. I just have a box of engine mounts and standoffs so I am not sure where they come from. They might have even been in the RCGF box. Most hobby shops and web suppliers stock them. I have even bought a few from Hobbyking.

A comment about the engine. It's great. I did have a problem fitting the spinner as the threaded prop shaft is a bit short to get the prop nut on and the spinner bolt nut. I had a friend make me up a custom prop nut which is threaded on the end for the spinner bolt. The engine starts first time, everytime and except for leaning the mixture a fraction I have not touched it. I do not thrash my planes around the sky and this engine develops all the power I need to do aerobatics. I am not really a 3D capable pilot but it will pull out of a hover, but the thing which holds it back is the weight of the plane overall. The SBach is too heavy. Because I am carrying so much extra lead weight up front I have even considered going for the 30cc twin. It should fit, if somewhat tight, as the plugs are in a different position. Because it is so heavy any landing which is not perfect can flatten the undercarraige a little. I looked around for some CF legs and bought some off HobbyKing's web site. It is one piece so I will have to cut it. No big deal, just have to get around to it.
Old 03-17-2019, 03:09 PM
jeffharris75

Thanks, I have installed the DLE 20. Appreciate the advice on landing!
Old 11-18-2019, 08:11 PM
med601
My Feedback: (5)

Default New Version?

Hey guys,
I bought this plane a year ago and now just starting to put it together. The manual says the cg is 140mm 5.5 in
all the posts in this thread are saying 115mm. Was there an update?
Old 07-14-2020, 06:48 AM
p51tom
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sbach cg

I also completed this model last year and the suggested cg is at 135 mm ( 5.3 ") 29% of chord. I put 2-800 ma packs behind the cg to get the balance using the plywood balance plates supplied in the kit. I am happy I have not flown the model. Any additional comments from modelers who have flown this plane are welcome.

Thanks,
P51Tom
Old 09-02-2021, 06:10 AM
RadialWacko

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

So apparently the CG still isn't fixed? I got my plane last month and used the supplied CG tool. Still tail heavy. Thought maybe I just got it wrong the first time so I double checked and flew again last night. Still tail heavy... So 110mm is the correct distance??
Old 02-10-2022, 03:42 PM
GeoffRC99

Originally Posted by SkyPilot101
This one caught my attention too ! Let us know your thoughts when you get your hands on it, 30 cc ish I'd say ?
Isn't a 30cc a little much for this plane?
Old 02-10-2022, 03:46 PM
GeoffRC99

Isn't 30cc's a little too much? I guess it comes down to weight and balance.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:50 PM
RadialWacko

Originally Posted by GeoffRC99
Isn't a 30cc a little much for this plane?
Depends if you live at high elevation... I'm putting a 33cc one mine since I'm at 5k get in elevation, we get about 30% less power.
Old 02-10-2022, 03:56 PM
GeoffRC99

Never thought of that. Thanks.
Old 03-08-2022, 11:51 PM
Oldsalt1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought one of these about a year, still setting in the box. I was going to use a DLE 20 with a pitts muffler, but after reading all these review comments, I'm leaning towards installing a TGY 32cc gas engine after reinforcing the crap out of the firewall. I would rather put the balancing weight in power rather than dead weight such as lead up front. After crunching numbers (weight) from all of you alls comments it seems like a viable option. Has anyone already installed a DLx30 engine or equivalent in one of these with good success? I am not in any hurry as I have about a dozen other models setting around in boxes to build to keep this old retiree busy until I get too senile or push daisies. If you have any great suggestions, you can email me at mikeboyd1@yahoo. com. Thanks so much.
Old 03-09-2022, 08:37 AM
RadialWacko

Originally Posted by Oldsalt1
I bought one of these about a year, still setting in the box. I was going to use a DLE 20 with a pitts muffler, but after reading all these review comments, I'm leaning towards installing a TGY 32cc gas engine after reinforcing the crap out of the firewall. I would rather put the balancing weight in power rather than dead weight such as lead up front. After crunching numbers (weight) from all of you alls comments it seems like a viable option. Has anyone already installed a DLx30 engine or equivalent in one of these with good success? I am not in any hurry as I have about a dozen other models setting around in boxes to build to keep this old retiree busy until I get too senile or push daisies. If you have any great suggestions, you can email me at mikeboyd1@yahoo. com. Thanks so much.
I put a turniggy 32cc in mine. I still have yet to fly it, just have to drill the prop and it will be ready to go. I had to cut an annoyingly large chunk of the bottom cowl off, but that's ok... Other than that the install went great. I reinforced with epoxy and a couple pieces of wood, but nothing insane. It's a pretty dang decent firewall.

I had a rimfire 1.20 in it originally and happened to have the 32cc laying around for a scratch built citabria that won't be done for years at this rate... I think I'm going to be very happy with it.
Old 03-09-2022, 11:47 AM
Oldsalt1

Thanks so much for the reply, Radial, I have 4 32's laying around, so this will put one of them to good use. I also have a Slick 580 to put together too. that one most likely will get one of the DLE 20s or an NGH 25 which is a little heavier than the DLE, please post again with a flight report as soon as you maiden her, thanks again. I am thinking about the 30cc sized Extra from Pheonix also for one of the 32s,
Old 03-09-2022, 11:51 AM
RadialWacko

I will, for sure! I don't foresee any major issues. Like I said, great install, no hesitation there. I love Phoenix. I have a BaE Hawk turbine, and an F4-U with a twin DLE both on standby for their maidens. I have a lot of faith in Phoenix planes as you can tell. I have no doubts it will go great. I have loved it electric, just the long waiting between charging isn't enjoyable. And who doesn't love the sound of a gas engine in the air?
Old 03-09-2022, 12:07 PM
Oldsalt1

Amen, sounds like we both like the low cost and excellent craftmanship from Pheonix, thanks again for your rapid reply.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:34 AM
GeoffRC99

I have this model almost built - Pheonix Sbach 342 1/4 scale. I have a DLE 35RA. Is this too much engine? Has anyone else used this engine with this model? I'm a novice here, so any thoughts or help would be most appreciated.
Old 06-25-2022, 09:45 AM
RadialWacko

If you live at sea level, you will have plenty of power. That's what I'm put in mine but I'm at high altitude and get about 25% less power, and I'm expecting plenty. Probably won't be able to do 3D with it, but if you live at sea level you probably could.

I wouldn't say too much for the airframe though, but being a novice you have a decent likelihood of ripping the wings off if you aren't familiar with throttle control.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.