Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > The Clubhouse
Reload this Page >

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Community
Search
Notices
The Clubhouse If it doesn't fit in any other category and is about general RC stuff then post it here at the Clubhouse.

old timers look here must be 50+ years only

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2018, 10:01 AM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

I so wish I could say the same, but requirement for work.
Old 05-07-2018, 12:35 PM
red head

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
I went by the hobby shop Saturday and saw the most beautiful Old Timer hanging from the ceiling for sale! It was something!
And you didn't buy it ????
Old 05-07-2018, 12:37 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 271 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by red head
And you didn't buy it ????
My wallet is so empty the moths have died of starvation!
Old 05-07-2018, 12:50 PM
acdii

My wallet is so empty the moths have died of starvation!
Old 05-07-2018, 08:52 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Picture of the model in flight on Sunday.
Old 05-08-2018, 04:21 AM
donnyman

Received 124 Likes on 97 Posts

No camera, no phone, I shun cell phones like the plague. They eat time and attention up like a hungry shrew. If someone needs me call the house, leave a message, and I will get back with you if I interested. Messages from politicians, fraudsters, sales people, pollsters, and robo recordings will be promptly deleted and politicians and sales calls will be blacklisted.
Amen to that!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:25 AM
donnyman

Post 5955 needs no words, the picture says it all!................... cool!
Old 05-08-2018, 04:59 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Post 5955.....very cool picture.
Old 05-10-2018, 04:05 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Good day gentlemen!

The young man shown in Post 5878 with your humble servant is Ludovic Jouinot, one of the younger members of our club and unusually for one so young, he enjoys building his own models. He has been given a Top Flite P47 Thunderbolt Gold Edition kit but the plan is missing. I have been in touch with Horizon Hobbies who recently bought Hobbico and they said that plans are not currently available.

That situation may change in weeks to come but in the meantime does anyone have a plan for this model or know somewhere where a plan could be obtained? Any expenses incurred in getting a plan across the Atlantic will naturally be re-imbursed.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:36 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I have just received the final entry list for La Coupe Des Barons.

I have been put into the last group, "Serie 8" along with many of the other first timers identifiable by the late numbers on their models. Just two previous entrants, Patrick Bruttmann and Jean-Marc Sondag, are in the group to show us the way round! This means that we will be able to watch all of the other rounds to see how things are done, and to get more nervous with each passing minute!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...sagePartId=0.1

I have converted my Baron to electric power and plan to test- fly it later today.
Old 05-16-2018, 04:01 PM
donnyman

Originally Posted by Telemaster Sales UK
I have just received the final entry list for La Coupe Des Barons.

I have been put into the last group, "Serie 8" along with many of the other first timers identifiable by the late numbers on their models. Just two previous entrants, Patrick Bruttmann and Jean-Marc Sondag, are in the group to show us the way round! This means that we will be able to watch all of the other rounds to see how things are done, and to get more nervous with each passing minute!

https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#in...sagePartId=0.1

I have converted my Baron to electric power and plan to test- fly it later today.
How did the test go?
Old 05-16-2018, 09:34 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by donnyman
How did the test go?
Badly.

There was a crosswind. I know how to take off in a cross wind and I may not have the choice in the competition so went for it. The model flipped onto its side and broke the tailplane.

I then spent two days building another tailplane, this time reinforced with carbon fibre strip, hinging the elevator, covering it, then I glueing it into place and refitting the fin. I also replaced the complicated pull-pull elevator actuating system with a simple push-rod as I thought that this would be easier to repair should the model get damaged halfway through the event.

With everything in place I tried test-running the electric motor. Nothing. I tried a different speed controller, again nothing. I went to the flying field yesterday afternoon, and explained the situation to Francois, the retired ship's engineer, who went and fetched a different speed controller which we installed. The motor turned, so apparently the two ESCs are unserviceable. Another member of the club, who's recently joined, a superb pilot a but brash and boorish man, a man I have not really taken to at all, said he'd look through his spares for another ESC for me. It's rare for me to be so judgemental at first aquaintance but it only goes to show how wrong you can be about what may hide beneath an unattractive exterior. The contrary is also true I suppose.

The last time I used this particular electric motor it was installed in the "works" Telemaster Sales UK Telemaster 40 when the wings broke away! Apparently the shaft is bent and there are only fifteen days left until the competition itself. Guess I'll order a couple of motors and speed controllers just to be on the safe side.

On top of all of this my two tonne Volkswagen plane hauler went and buried its rear wheels in the grass at the rear of the house yesterday. The weather here has been pretty dry until two nights ago and I thought that the ground would be dry enough to allow me to drive the VW over it. Well I got that wrong! My fourty-four year old Rover had no trouble with it but then the van is RWD and pretty light at the back, the Rover, anything but! I'm waiting for my mate to rurn up with his 4WD to tow me out of trouble again. I'd better get some breakfast before he arrives.

Very character-building this hobby.

Old 05-17-2018, 04:10 AM
karolh

What a bummer, but hopefully you will have it all sorted out before the big day arrives.
Old 05-17-2018, 07:21 AM
donnyman

Sorry about the bad flight, but I feel you will get it all sorted out soon.
Old 05-17-2018, 09:34 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

I consoled myself yesterday evening by running some engines in the back yard.

I have owned the SC 32 for some time, it was an EBay purchase and didn't look as if it had done much work. It has always run well but was always too noisy even with a BCM after market strap-on silencer. These don't silence anything! I bought a Weston Throttle Pipe for it and now it's acceptably quiet and it throttles beautifully but didn't seem to reach peak revs on a 10x6. May be it needs running in.

The ASP 30 FS and Enya 15 I bought from a clubmate Pascal for 20€ ($23.61 US or £17.48 Sterling.) The ASP was minus the propnut and washer. I pulled these off another engine fitted a propeller and engine started and ran faultlessly first twirl of the starter motor. A delightful little motor.

The little Enya 15 looks new. My test stand doesn't cater for small motors. With the engine bolted in place the stand prevents the throttle from moving. I tried to start it on full throttle like we did in the pre R/C days! It would fire but not run and it will probably be unacceptably noisy. I will have to fit it onto a small engine mount and screw it to a block of wood to test it.

I have ordered two electric motors, some props and two speed controllers for the Baron and for another project but time's pressing and the weekend looms. If they don't turn up by Tuesday or Wednesday of next week I'm considering fitting the SC to the Baron and risking it and I'm dreaming about building a little Bob Wright Nieuport 11 Bébé over next winter and fitting the ASP.

No news from the gentleman mentioned in Post 5962 but I noticed this morning that someone phoned me twice yesterday evening when I was out enjoying myself with the engines. I'll try a return call after breakfast.

The pictures I took of the engines on the test stand are too big. I will resize them and post them later.
Old 05-17-2018, 10:48 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Pictures as promised.

The caller was who I expected it to be. I left a stuttering message in French on his answerphone! Must get the strimmer out soon and do something about that long grass!

Old 05-18-2018, 04:10 AM
donnyman

I envy you! My situation has limited what I can do with my hobby, It would be very nice to set up test runs on my engine population, I have too many and will be forced to down size like I am doing with everything I own.

Yesterday my Bud Nosen Cessna 310 kit sold and I have much else to divest. We have a technical school nearby and I think I may donate all of my electronics to them, but I bet they won't be interested.

I am forsaking many honey-do's to put in some build time and it is showing results and feels real good.

Has anyone completed the AMA survey? I just did and I feel it is much like all other surveys. limited and non productive. but an attached survey seemed to serve some type of special interest group that caused me to be weary so I did not finish that portion. I feel so much negativity in so much and so many things I think I am living in fear of the future, my government isn't doing anything that makes me see a brighter future.
Old 05-20-2018, 09:49 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Yesterday at the club's flying field. The Retired Ship's Engineer gives everyone the the benefit of his knowledge and experience!

The young man in the hat and sunglasses is Ludovic referred to above in Posts 5878 and 5959. He works for the Volkswagen agency in Gueret repairing customers' bent cars! Check out the finish on his flight box! He's practicing for his national qualifications using the small model you see in the picture. It's powered by an old Enya 19 which he has managed to get to run impeccably. He didn't build that particular model, he bought it ready made from a bereavement sale I believe. He usually builds his own models some of them from foam, some from depron others from balsawood. He obviously likes to build which is why he opted for the plan-less kit of the Topflite P47 Thunderbolt referred to in Post 5959. I have managed to get a plan from another expatriate Englishman in La Charente Maritime on condition that I have it copied and send the copy back to him.

We are holding a Qualification Day this coming Saturday. I have all of the French fixed wing qualifications but have been dragooned into taking glider qualifications. Not my main interest! I have been loaned a simple three channel electric powered foam glider for the exam which I flew in a stiff breeze for the first time yesterday. It was quite interesting. It's Pacques (Passover?) here in France today which is a national holiday so I'll probably have another go with the model later on once I've got the garden sorted out.

Ludo's young lady, Alison, stands on the left of the picture. She has been known to fly a trainer on a buddy box with your humble servant.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:48 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

My flight box was getting old and shabby. I'd bought it in an auction in Exeter in about 1997; it was old then. There's a picture of it below in the foreground of a photo taken in 2007 so that was 11 years ago and by 2018 the methanol had started to rot the wood so it was time for a change.
​I had a look on the web and there were three which caught my eye two were advertised with French suppliers and the third with SLEC, an English company I had done business with in the past. I rejected one of the French suppliers because the box was too expensive but chose the second one, produced by a company called Super Flying Models no less, because I thought that the box came fully assembled and painted!
I should have read the small print! Not only was the box a flat-pack, it was unpainted too and twice the price of the English box! Nil desperandum. I got on with assembling the box and found out that my flight battery was too big for it and the power panel was too small. I cut up lots of pieces of plywood I had handy to make the necessary changes, recycling some parts from the old box, the door knob for example. After several coats of highly patriotic water-based British Racing Green paint, everything was wired up and ready to go.
I tried the starter motor, attaching it to the terminals just to the left of the power panel. The terminals on the end of the starter motor are a type of crocodile clip similar to those used on battery chargers. It didn't work! I checked the voltage at the battery. 13 volts. The terminals are fed by two loudspeaker cables each 1/4" (6mm) thick and soldered to washers which are bolted to the structure of the flight box with a bolt with a countersunk head. This bolt then passes through two steel tubes which the starter motor's crocodile clips grip, and the whole structure is topped off with a cup washer and a nut, painted red and black. I had cleaned the tubes prior to assembly so couldn't understand why the starter motor wouldn't work. I checked the voltage at the terminals. 6.5 volts. In less then a foot of cable, I had only half the voltage!Then the thought struck me! The bolts were the only components I hadn't cleaned! They were oily and rusty. I took them out, left them overnight in petrol and with the help of a rotary wire brush I cleaned them up good and proper.Having reassembled everything I checked the voltage at the terminals. 13V. The starter motor spun lustily!

Just goes to show doesn't it?

Last edited by Telemaster Sales UK; 05-29-2018 at 09:55 AM.
Old 05-29-2018, 09:56 AM
acdii

I have yet to fire up an engine this year. Weekend is looking good so far, so hopefully I can get 5 planes up in the air and tested before the SIG Flyin on the 8th.
Old 05-29-2018, 06:45 PM
karolh

Hopefully the rust on your fingers won't cause you any unwelcomed issues.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:49 PM
acdii

Nah I still gots the charm in the fingers. I got a powered glider back in april and tossed it in the air and flew my first 3 channel plane ever. No Ailerons, pure rudder action, flew pretty darn good too.
Old 05-29-2018, 07:50 PM
the pope

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by karolh
Hopefully the rust on your fingers won't cause you any unwelcomed issues.
how do u know its rust ?
Old 05-29-2018, 08:20 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Originally Posted by acdii
Nah I still gots the charm in the fingers. I got a powered glider back in april and tossed it in the air and flew my first 3 channel plane ever. No Ailerons, pure rudder action, flew pretty darn good too.
I was persuaded to take my glider qualifications last Saturday, the basic qualification, the Brevet A, which demonstrates a degree of competence a bit like passing your driving test and the QPDD which enables you to fly at events where the fee-paying general public are present. I had to take the QPDD test twice because the wind had changed direction during the first flight. Not that I can ever see myself flying a glider at a public event you understand! I borrowed a three-channel foam glider, a Parkzone Radian for the test. My landings were favourably commented upon!
Old 05-30-2018, 05:12 AM
acdii

Radian is the one I got. Pretty nice to just power up and climb, then shut it down and just fly with the right hand. Felt weird not having ailerons and rudder for doing slips and such, but was still fun.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.