Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets > Turbine Clinic > JetCat Turbine Direct Support
Reload this Page >

Is it normal to burn a ECU ?

Community
Search
Notices
JetCat Turbine Direct Support Ask your JetCat questions here for the experts that know them. MrMatt and Bob Wilcox will field your inquiries.

Is it normal to burn a ECU ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Gonzalo38

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it normal to burn a ECU ?

Been flying my CARF Marchetti equipped with a Jetcat SPT-5 without a problem until last week when I connected the turbine battery (Powerbox Lipo 7.4 V) and I saw some white smoke coming from the inside of the plane. I did't know what it was at the time but today after checking the plane, I noticed that when I plug the battery of the turbine nothing happens. Checked all connections but nothing is happening.

The ECU is version 6. I have another ECU version 6 lying around that came with a P160 turbine. Could I used this ECU for the SPT-5 ? Would I need to update the ECU software ? Or I just need to buy a replacement ECU ?

First time I have burnt a ECU and I still don't know why it happened. Didn't do anything different to what I have done for years with my two (2) SPT-5's (the other one mounted on a Tucano).
Old 05-20-2018, 06:13 AM
p-40lover

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

from what l have heard you can change the engine in one of the start up menu you have to hold two buttons when you turn on the gsu...

Last edited by p-40lover; 05-20-2018 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-20-2018, 12:59 PM
George
My Feedback: (57)

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Hello Gonzo,

Yes, you can use the ECU. If the engine doesn't change the ECU to SPT5 after plugged in and powered, then the ECU will have to be programmed manually to SPT5. This can be done by you with the proper procedure.

The post above may work, but not the procedure I am aware of. If you need help, please give me a call.

Regards,
George
Old 05-20-2018, 08:34 PM
Gonzalo38

George:

Thanks for your response. Currently traveling but when I'm back home I will try to install the other ECU and see what happens. If it doesn't work, I will give you a call.

Anyway.... how normal is for a ECU to fail ?

P-40lover:

Thanks for the tip. I will try if the new ECU doesn't automatically recognize the turbine.
Old 05-26-2018, 05:32 AM
CobraJet
My Feedback: (4)

Gonzo,
I don't think it's a normal or frequent occurence for ECUs to do that. The only time I've seen that happen (twice) was when the battery was connected backwards as it has no protection for reverse polarity. I believe the corrective action is to send the ECU in and they will replace the (power?) board or replace the diode in there. Good luck!
Old 06-03-2018, 04:49 PM
Gonzalo38

A friend of mine was able to open the V6 ECU and found that two of the boards have suffered damage. I donīt even understand how this could have happened. i was using the same battery I use all the time so no changes in that area.

I was planning to see if the burnt component could be fixed, but this seems to be mucho more and beyond repair (at least by me...).
Old 04-28-2019, 05:23 PM
Keron232

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default burnt ecu

hello are ypu willing to sell the burnt jetcat ecu.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:46 AM
JP-1

Received 422 Likes on 355 Posts

I would be reluctant to try another ECU at least till you find the cause of the first failure.