Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Kit Building
Reload this Page >

Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build

Notices
Kit Building If you're building a kit and have questions or want to discuss kit building post it here.

Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build

Old 11-18-2017, 12:42 PM
VincentJ

Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts
Default Calrl Goldberg Tiger 60 Build

I have been deciding which plane I wanted to build next . It has to fit in my vehicle easily so that it can be transported to the field and back home without hassle. Something that would be relaxing to fly but still able to perform basic aerobatic maneuvers when the urge calls. After looking at a number of possibilities, I settled on Carl Goldberg's classic Tiger 60. Now this isn't my first Tiger, in fact I've had two others and I've enjoyed each one that I've owned. I know how well they fly when built stock, and some of the areas of concern that need improvement.

My intentions are to keep this plane basic, but give it the upgrades that will suite my preferences for flying. Here are a few of my build intentions:

1. Gas Engine DLE 20RA
2. Tail Dragger version
3. Reduce most of the wing's dihedral
4. Slip on wings
5. Redesign to both Tail and Rudder
6. Removable canopy
7. Cowled engine
8. Removable Rudder

I'm just finishing up my latest build project, Sig's Morrisey Bravo (seen in the background). I still have a bit of work on it, so I'll be working on both projects. My intentions is to have this Tiger completed by Spring, so if this interests anyone by all means come and share this experience with me, I'd love to have you along...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7865.JPG
Views:	501
Size:	3.00 MB
ID:	2245494  

Last edited by VincentJ; 02-20-2018 at 09:34 AM.
Old 11-18-2017, 03:19 PM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

"Yeah Vincent", love the Tiger 60 and it will be a joy to see another one built, you can count on me being here for the build. It's a good looking plane and is a great flyer too. Your a wonderful creative builder and hope it will draw a nice audience for you.

Leroy
Old 11-18-2017, 07:36 PM
Murphey
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vincent: Murphey here...remember me...the "Recovering Over Builder" from the Spacewalker II project! Ironically, I just opened my Tiger 60 kit today and started reviewing the plans. I know so far that I will be powering it with an NGH-17...a bit smaller than the DLE-20RA.. Was also thinking about mods on the tail and rudder as you mentioned so I will be watching your build closely...and likely use some or your ideas...Can't wait!
M

Last edited by Murphey; 11-18-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:34 AM
VincentJ

Thank you Leroy and Murphey for following along. Yes Murphey I do remember you from that project. Sadly I lost my Spacewalker this summer from an electronic failure. Glad to have you back for this project.

Leroy built a beautiful Tiger a few years ago, if you haven't seen it I would encourage you to check out his build thread. What he did to it was nothing short of creative and with his impressive talent for building, was able to build one of the best looking Tiger's I've seen. His plane gave me the inspiration and motivation to build one of my own.

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-19-2017 at 03:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2017, 03:52 AM
TomCrump

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'll follow along, too.

I've never built a Tiger, but I've flown a few. This is a nice change of pace, for you.
Old 11-20-2017, 03:43 AM
VincentJ

Glad you're following along Tom. You're right, it is a different venue for me. I'm looking forward to it!
Old 11-21-2017, 10:51 AM
Leroy Gardner

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by VincentJ
Thank you Leroy and Murphey for following along. Yes Murphey I do remember you from that project. Sadly I lost my Spacewalker this summer from an electronic failure. Glad to have you back for this project.

Leroy built a beautiful Tiger a few years ago, if you haven't seen it I would encourage you to check out his build thread. What he did to it was nothing short of creative and with his impressive talent for building, was able to build one of the best looking Tiger's I've seen. His plane gave me the inspiration and motivation to build one of my own.
Thanks for the fine endorsement Vince and if I can inspire you I have created a bigger accomplishment. Part of the enjoyment of this hobby is sharing your builds and ideas with others and motivate them to expand there building experience, it's really a personal thing, it's either in you or it isn't and still brings joy to the builder. I can't wait to see what you have up your sleeve for this build and I know it will be fun to watch.

Well with Thanksgiving right around the corner it's a good time to wish all of you a thankful and happy one, it's not hard to enjoy it to much, gotta keep an eye on the scales.

Leroy
Old 11-25-2017, 12:14 PM
VincentJ

Photo #1 When you open the box, you'll find that everything has been very well packed. It's a disappointment though to find that both sheets of plans come folded and not rolled. Working off of folded plans is always a bother.

Photo #2 Highlighted is the new location of the engine (DLE-20) firewall. It is worth noting the the firewall is installed with 2 degrees down and 2 degrees right thrust. The original wood (1/4") for the firewall won't be used for two reasons, first, moving the firewall back will require that the firewall be longer. Second, since I am installing a gas engine that will have more power and have more vibration than engines of the glow variety, I am beefing up the thickness of the firewall to 3/8".

Photos #3-5 The fuselage is box constructed from 1/8" Lite Ply that has tabs that make the assembly pretty easy for beginning builders. Having said that, the pieces are cut out using a router rather than laser cut. The problem that presents itself are the rounded corners of the mating tabs. Take the pieces of the fuselage and lay them out on your
workbench, try to interlock the pieces much like assembling a puzzle. It will become very obvious that these rounded corners will need to be squared up using a hand file to make them fit correctly. The last two photos is how it should look...

Name:	IMG_7885.JPG
Views:	496
Size:	3.53 MB
ID:	2246171   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7887.JPG
Views:	461
Size:	3.40 MB
ID:	2246172   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7890.JPG
Views:	444
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	2246173   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7892.JPG
Views:	416
Size:	3.29 MB
ID:	2246174   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7894.JPG
Views:	448
Size:	3.03 MB
ID:	2246175  

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-25-2017 at 02:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:59 PM
Murphey

VJ: Just noticed the round corners about the same time you posted the photos! I have most of the round corners square now...fairly annoying...seems like they could have been laser cut , but maybe better than die-cut. Another concern I have is how large the cut outs in the rear of the fuselage are...I think it makes a weak spot...so the "over builder" in me will put tri-stock along the inside corners for additional strength and extra gluing surface. OK...I'm going back to the shop to square more corners! Thanks for the photos!
M
Old 11-25-2017, 02:25 PM
VincentJ

Murphey, I know for a fact that if you plan on building your Tiger stock you will have plenty of tail flex, an inherent weak spot on this plane. There are things that you can do to help eliminate/reduce it, adding tri-stock will help, you can also eliminate that flex by closing in the last cut out on the bottom of the fuse nearest the tail. I don't know if you noticed the parts of the cutout that I left in on the sides of the fuse, they look like added vertical braces, but they're not.

I've ordered some lite ply from Balsa USA, can't move forward until I get my order.

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-26-2017 at 03:53 AM.
Old 11-25-2017, 08:35 PM
Murphey

Right now I have a bigger problem that has to be resolved first. The aft portion of both fuselage sides are warped rather significantly. I put the fuse on my framing fixture in hopes of being able properly align it. It wants to roll over to the left way too much. My plan right now is to remove it from the fixture and wet the back part of the side and over bend it in the opposite direction so when dry and released it will spring back to neutral...maybe that will work...I've done it in the past but will only know after trying. Also open for other ideas...

You mentioned the early demise of your Space Walker II...sorry to hear that. I completed the build on mine including covering it with Koveall but didn't paint it. Someone talked me into selling it to them and I haven't seen it since. It was fun building though.
M
Old 11-25-2017, 10:11 PM
VincentJ

Another option that you have is to call and have the fuselage parts replaced which I'm sure they would do. If wetting the parts doesn't resolve that issue I would definitely call and have them replaced. On second thought, I think I would do it regardless, that way you have a back-up, after all you paid for straight wood not warped!

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-26-2017 at 06:49 AM.
Old 11-26-2017, 06:44 AM
VincentJ

While I still have a few things that I can do, the majority of work is on hold as I am waiting for much needed supplies to continue. The carbon fiber wing tube and sleeve are ordered, 1/8" Lite Ply and Balsa tri-stock are also en route. Guess I'll go and spend some time on my Morrisey Bravo... Work will resume shortly.
Old 11-26-2017, 07:54 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

I saw a post about how the kit should be laser cut rather than routed. I can think of two reasons why a router was used:
1) A router can cut a part significantly faster than a laser can, a bonus to a manufacturer when speed is required as well as bringing down the cost per part
2) A laser cutter requires significantly more money to buy, set up and operate than a router.
Now, I'm not looking at accuracy or anything else as I agree, a laser would be more accurate and allow more parts per piece of wood but, at the same time, if CG has been using routers for a significant length of time, changing over to a laser cutter probably wouldn't be cost effective. At the same time, a router is night and day better than a die cutter since they tend to smash the wood and distort the shape of the parts. Just look at the parts in a die cut Dumas boat kit and you'll see what I mean
Old 11-26-2017, 10:14 AM
VincentJ

I'm sure your right Hydro, but I think modelers would be willing to pay more for a kit if small details such as router cutting vs. laser cutting, folded plans vs. rolled plans etc. were afforded to us. In the end, we will adapt and make it right. Routing vs. die cutting, well that's a no brainier, unless you're one of the lucky ones that get a die cut kit early on in the run when the dies are sharp!
Old 11-26-2017, 11:01 AM
Murphey

There is yet a 3rd method and I think both the best and most expensive. Have you seen kits manufactured by Bruce Tharpe of BTE Engineering? Al parts are machine cut of first quality wood. No sanding off burned wood or squaring round corners. And only a few $$ more, which I an willing to pay. In my current issue with the warped fuselage side, (which wouldn't be in a BTE kit) I could just call Bruce and he would send another...Just my thought and opinion while we wait for VJ's shipment to arrive!
M
Old 11-27-2017, 01:06 PM
Murphey

I'm working through the warped fuselage sides...but found yet another problem...former "D" looks to be about 1/8" to wide...see attached photo (assuming it uploaded) VJ, have you checked the fit of the former in your kit?
M

Name:	Tiger 60 tail.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	3.37 MB
ID:	2246359  
Old 11-27-2017, 01:18 PM
VincentJ

Not yet Murphey, but I will let you know. I'm currently at work spraying the wing on my Bravo.
Old 11-27-2017, 01:43 PM
FlyerInOKC
My Feedback: (6)

Received 263 Likes on 231 Posts

I almost missed this one, subscribed.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:25 PM
VincentJ

Welcome aboard Mike!

Last edited by VincentJ; 11-27-2017 at 04:55 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:32 PM
FlyerInOKC

So what is the color scheme for this one?
Old 11-27-2017, 04:43 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by Murphey
I'm working through the warped fuselage sides...but found yet another problem...former "D" looks to be about 1/8" to wide...see attached photo (assuming it uploaded) VJ, have you checked the fit of the former in your kit?
M
Murphey, you are correct that Former "D" is too wide by about 1/8". To get mine to fit correctly I had to do some careful sanding on each side for it to fit correctly.

Name:	IMG_7916.JPG
Views:	398
Size:	3.06 MB
ID:	2246392   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7917.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	3.20 MB
ID:	2246393  
Old 11-27-2017, 04:48 PM
VincentJ

Originally Posted by FlyerInOKC
So what is the color scheme for this one?
Wow, Mike I just got it out of the box, but I can tell you it won't be red and white! I'm thinking that I would like to pair a bright green with a blue together....
Old 11-27-2017, 06:53 PM
FlyerInOKC

I have a small CG Tiger I inherited I plan on making it orange and white with Hobbs on each side. After all it is called a Tiger..

Name:	Crouching_Hobbs.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	164.6 KB
ID:	2246401  
Old 11-27-2017, 07:26 PM
Murphey

I made a replacement former "D" and the fit is OK and helps mitigate the twist. I think I have the twist in the fuselage reduced down from 2 degrees to about 1/2 degree...measured with my incidence meter. The rest of the twist will be taken care of when I set the horizontal stab, So far, I think this is a fairly ill fitting kit...at least the light ply parts are.
M

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.