Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Jets
Reload this Page >

Composite ARF Mig29

Community
Search
Notices
RC Jets Discuss RC jets in this forum plus rc turbines and ducted fan power systems

Composite ARF Mig29

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 04:54 PM
hemi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Composite ARF Mig29

Craig

The cable attaches to the piston operating rod by looping it through the hole you have to drill in the flattened tube that was soldered on the rod. Next the cable runs forward in fuse and gets looped over a dowel rod epoxied in the fuse. You can see the dowel on the second picture. The cable then head back towards the tail and exits the tail right next to the plastic tube that the servo operating rod passes through. You have to have someone help you compress the chute piston and create another loop like you did on the other end of the cable. With the servo arm pulling the release rod back you have to slip the loop into the furthest 2mm slot cut in the chute tube. When the servo moves the rod forward the rod captured the release loop and keeps tension on the piston.

Note the chute is attached in the same manner but in the second 2mm slot cut in the tube. The idea is the servo should be set to have two movements. The first moves the rod enough to release the piston tension cable. This is suppose to allow the piston to be release and pop the chute. The door is held close just by tension on the hinge. The 2nd movement of the servo pulls the release rod back past the second slot, this allow the chute to be separated from the plane. I saw Klurh release the chute while he was taxing back at Superman. I'm not sure why unless he was concerned about the heat or something like that.

I agree the instructions are poor. I don't quite have mine working but from what I can tell this is how it's supposed to work. I do not have the rudder servo's installed yet so I can't help. I have installed the carbon tubes and rods so I can put them on my plane.

Hope this helps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Xv65079.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	1224000   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fb87953.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	1224001   Click image for larger version

Name:	Eb86676.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	1224002   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98332.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1224003  
Old 06-25-2009, 08:50 AM
Craig B.

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

HI John,

Great explanation...thank you! I now understand how it is supposed to work and how to set it up. I wonder if the small piece of plastic tubing between the slots would best be held in place with some carbon roving rather than the aluminium strip as that section will be under quite a bit of load.

Thanks for you help. Time to press on!

Kind regards,

Craig.

ps. Ro, where you at dude?
Old 06-25-2009, 11:15 AM
hemi

Craig
That's a good idea. I may change mine. The manual that comes with this plane needs a lot of work. Ro is doing such a nice job documenting his build and inspired me to get back to work on mine. I figure the more pictures the better so we can help each other. So jump in and take pictures and post them. Its a complex build and everything takes loner than I thought it would but it's very enjoyable work for me.

Take care
Old 06-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Ro

Hey Guys,

I'm in the process of packing up all my things as I will be moving very soon!

Looking forward to seeing what you guys are up to on the thread though. I Hope to be back on it when I setup shop again!

I hear there are no more mig29's left at CompArf. They must have hit 100 now. I think mine was 96

chat soon guys,
Ro
Old 06-25-2009, 09:08 PM
invertmast
My Feedback: (23)

Received 225 Likes on 116 Posts

sorry to butt in guys, but can anyone tell me if the hausl hydraulic system has to use hydraulic specific actuators, or can you use air cylinders with it?

thanks
thomas
Old 06-25-2009, 09:16 PM
hemi

Thomas

Don't worry about jumping in. If your building one, join in. I'm not sure, mine is kit 18 and has the original gear and hydraulics so I can't help. Are you going to try to use air operated landing gear?

Best regards
Old 06-25-2009, 09:21 PM
hemi

Ro
Are you moving to Germany? I wish you the best with your move, be sure to pack the Mig well and try not to lose any parts. If you need any one to guard and protect your exterior accessory kit that I haven't been able to get yet, I'll guard and protect it for you with my life. Of course I would store in a perfect place. On my Mig. HA HA.

Best of luck bud, stay in touch.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:22 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: hemi

Thomas

Don't worry about jumping in. If your building one, join in. I'm not sure, mine is kit 18 and has the original gear and hydraulics so I can't help. Are you going to try to use air operated landing gear?

Best regards

John,
actually i can only wish i had a Carf Mig 29. beautiful looking model. Actually i'm looking at using the hausl system for the landing gear, speed brakes, slats and canopy on a scratch built 1/7 F-14 i'm working on. I went on the hausl site, and it said that the actuators are "custom" made, but was wondering if the ultra-precision cylinders and the like could be used with the hausl system as well.
Old 06-25-2009, 09:44 PM
hemi

Thomas
Good luck with your project. You might contact my friend John at Matrix Machine, he has a nice website and he loves F14's. He makes 1/10 scale gear and might be able to offer some advice. I saw an old Jet Age F14 along time ago and it was 1/7 scale. That's a big cat your building there.

Best regards
Old 06-25-2009, 09:47 PM
invertmast

Thomas
Good luck with your project. You might contact my friend John at Matrix Machine, he has a nice website and he loves F14's. He makes 1/10 scale gear and might be able to offer some advice. I saw an old Jet Age F14 along time ago and it was 1/7 scale. That's a big cat your building there.

Best regards

John,
thats who i'm planning on getting the landing gear from...

anyone have any idea on the actuators?
Old 06-26-2009, 08:42 AM
hemi

I've got no experience with them. I know Ro has the updated gear on his Mig and its sits on its gear and the hydraulics are not installed yet. Maybe he used air to lock the cylinder in the down position.

Ro, whats your thoughts.

Best regards
Old 06-26-2009, 08:59 AM
mr_matt
My Feedback: (10)

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

ORIGINAL: invertmast

I got actuators from Peter, they are quite nice and he is very nice to deal with, very professional.

As for any other cylinder, it should work if the materials are not sensitive to the oil you plan to use.

And of course you have to watch the pressure, 8 or 9 bar is a lot.
Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 AM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: mr_matt

I got actuators from Peter, they are quite nice and he is very nice to deal with, very professional.

As for any other cylinder, it should work if the materials are not sensitive to the oil you plan to use.

And of course you have to watch the pressure, 8 or 9 bar is a lot.

guess their is really only one way to find out then.. Per my math 8 or 9 bar = 117.6 to 132.3 psi. What fluid is used for the hydraulic fluid, i though i saw it mentioned someplace that it was just normal automotive automatic transmission fluid?
Old 06-26-2009, 10:11 AM
hemi

Everything I've read on the Mig gear says any good hydraulic fluid like ATF or power steering fluid works fine. The retrofit instructions for updating the original Mig gears says that one well known Mig flyer uses baby oil. I was going to use ATF in mine so it would be easier to see any leaks.

Best regards
Old 06-26-2009, 10:15 AM
invertmast

Everything I've read on the Mig gear says any good hydraulic fluid like ATF or power steering fluid works fine. The retrofit instructions for updating the original Mig gears says that one well known Mig flyer uses baby oil. I was going to use ATF in mine so it would be easier to see any leaks.

Best regards

ok, thanks for the help, i've got an UP cylinder or 2 laying around that i can play around with to see how it holds up to ATF fluid and the like. I dont perceive it being a problem though.
Old 06-26-2009, 11:24 AM
Craig B.

HI guys,

I am wondering if there is any problem using silicone shock oil as is used in rc car applications for the mig hydraulics. Any comments guys?

Craig.

Old 06-27-2009, 02:31 AM
Ro

sorry to butt in guys, but can anyone tell me if the hausl hydraulic system has to use hydraulic specific actuators, or can you use air cylinders with it?

thanks
thomas
I would use the hydraulic cylinders they make but I do believe air cylinders will work based on what you use them for.

The latest L/G cylinders have internal locks fur the extended and retracted throws.

Cheers,
Ro
Old 06-27-2009, 02:44 AM
Ro

Ro
Are you moving to Germany? I wish you the best with your move, be sure to pack the Mig well and try not to lose any parts. If you need any one to guard and protect your exterior accessory kit that I haven't been able to get yet, I'll guard and protect it for you with my life. Of course I would store in a perfect place. On my Mig. HA HA.

Best of luck bud, stay in touch.

Hey John,

Yes, moving to Germany. Its such a beautiful place. I dont know of any flying fields in or around Frankfurt?
LOL!! Nice one !! I will try and get in contact with the source for those accessories for you when I move. Re-packing the mig29 will be a task I'm sure. If anyone out there still has theirs in the box take some picture and post it for ref!

Cheers,
Ro
Old 06-27-2009, 02:56 AM
Ro

I've got no experience with them. I know Ro has the updated gear on his Mig and its sits on its gear and the hydraulics are not installed yet. Maybe he used air to lock the cylinder in the down position.

Ro, whats your thoughts.

Best regards
Hey guys,

to lock and unlock the cylinders you just need to use syringe with a 4mm hose on the end to apply the needed pressure to unlock or lock the valve.

In regards to using air cylinders. I have not tried it personally but if air does not leak then why would oil right. a simple test rig will answer this im sure.

Ro
Old 06-27-2009, 03:03 AM
Ro

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

HI guys,

I am wondering if there is any problem using silicone shock oil as is used in rc car applications for the mig hydraulics. Any comments guys?

Craig.

Hey Craig,

If not using hydraulic fluid I would only use baby oil as it is mineral oil. The silicone used in the rc car shocks is very thick and will not be something you would want to use in a hydraulic system.
I'm no pro at any of this stuff but just my 2c mate.

Ro
Old 06-27-2009, 03:09 AM
Ro

Best regards

ok, thanks for the help, i've got an UP cylinder or 2 laying around that i can play around with to see how it holds up to ATF fluid and the like. I dont perceive it being a problem though.

I painted parts of the interior airframe with a thin coat of primer to help with spotting leaks faster. I may also try adding dye to the baby oil to see if that works
Old 06-27-2009, 08:05 AM
hemi

Ro
I've been working some other projects here at home but I'm looking forward to getting back on the Mig. When's the big move? Are you going to be doing the same kind of work in Germany? That would be awesome if you could locate me a set of accessories after you get settled in. I would think baby oil would work great and if you get the scented oil you could sniff out the leaks. Stay in touch my friend.

Best regards
Old 06-27-2009, 12:45 PM
Craig B.

Hey Craig,

If not using hydraulic fluid I would only use baby oil as it is mineral oil. The silicone used in the rc car shocks is very thick and will not be something you would want to use in a hydraulic system.
Hi Ro,

Actually, the car shock oil comes in a whole range of weights/viscosities and the lower weight stuff is very low viscosity.....less than the hydraulic fluid. I am wondering what sort of seals these cylinders have as that is the main determinant of what type of oil you can run. If they are standard O-rings, I would not be using anything that is mineral oil based as it will dissolve the O-rings eventually. Silicone oil would be safe to use on the other hand.

I must stress that I am no hydraulics expert but I have about 15 rc cars so I know a little when it comes to shock oil .

Craig.

Old 06-27-2009, 01:32 PM
invertmast

ORIGINAL: Craig B.

Hey Craig,

If they are standard O-rings, I would not be using anything that is mineral oil based as it will dissolve the O-rings eventually.
Thats exactly what i am wondering... I'm going to take some ATF fluid and place into an older cylinder i have and put it under some pressure w/ a hand pump and let it sit in a cup and see just how long it takes till the fluid starts to leak out.. if it ever does.
Old 06-27-2009, 04:20 PM
hemi

David Gladwin

David are you out there. We have a little discussion going on here onwhats the best hydraulic fluid to use in the Migs. Since you have the most experience with the Mig's hydraulics can you you offer any suggestions on whats a good hydraulic fluid to use?

Best regards

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.