Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Warbirds and Warplanes
Reload this Page >

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Notices
RC Warbirds and Warplanes Discuss rc warbirds and warplanes in this forum.

TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

Old 09-24-2003, 10:40 AM
splais
My Feedback: (25)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly (1ST MISHAP!!!)

[NOTE: I have posted a complete review in the "User Product Reviews" forum under my moms sign-in, bhunn3.]

There are a couple of TF 1/5 Scale P-51Arf threads running in different places. But I would like to see an assembly and setup thread dedicated to this plane so here goes. If you are working on yours please post away.

My construction will take some time because the retracts are on back order and I will not have the engine for about two weeks. However I can provide the following starting point.

My plane will be equipped with the Desert Aircraft 50R engine equipped with a Slimline wrap-around inverted muffler. All flight surface servos will be digital Hitec 5625’s because I had them. Will be using Hitec 225MG for the throttle and retracts. I’m using the recommended Robart 622-5 main retracts and the Robart 160 retractable tailwheel. I will probably end up spending another $150 to get their alumin hubbed scale P-51 wheels also.

Aileron and flap control rods are H9 titanium Pro-links with MK 2.5mm (red) BB adjusters (looks really sharp). I used the supplied control horns for the ailerons and flaps, but replaced the screws with neat button-head #4x1/2 screws.

Right now, while I wait for the Robart stuff and engine to arrive I am working on how I want to paint the guns, exhaust stacks and cockpit; and which scale WWII pilot to use. Also a couple dozen other little pre-assembly steps that soak up time. The attached picture is of my control rod setup.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl29950.jpg
Views:	1304
Size:	101.1 KB
ID:	63430  
Old 09-24-2003, 12:56 PM
Rocketeer10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: TF 1/5 Scale P-51 ARF Assembly Thread

My Mustang is also waiting for Robart Gear. I plan to install the Fuji 50cc engine possibly with soft mounts. Engine length is very good for the cowl and if mounted solid to the firewall with the long prop extension installed, the engine will need only a 1/4-inch ply shim plate against the firewall for the thrust washer to be properly located. 7 1/4 inches from firewall.

Radio will be the Futaba 9C with 60 oz. torque servos. Pilot will be a 1/6-scale full figure WWII pilot from bbi Elite Forces.

I do not intend to modify the model with the exception of the engine choice. If a Slimline muffler is availably for the Fuji, that's what I'll use.
GY
Old 09-24-2003, 02:17 PM
splais

Great tip on the pilot. I have a thread running on the Scale forum and here you go answering my question. Is this the pilot you are using? The figures I found by bbi were 1/6 scale (12") which I think will fit nicely. I'm also working to get some pictures of the Century Jet Deluxe P-51 Cockpit also.

Name:	Gd93600.jpg
Views:	1098
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	63466  
Old 09-24-2003, 02:51 PM
MustangFan

I found a pilot (called P-51 on the box) at Toys-R-Us for $20.00 like the one displayed.

Bought two.
12" tall with all accessories.
Very nice.
Old 09-24-2003, 02:52 PM
Rocketeer10

Yep, that's the little sucker I was talking about! Actually, I plan to give the poor fellow a body transplant. Feeling like Dr. Frankenstein, I will remove his head and hands and replace the rest of his body with foam and a coat hangar armature to save on weight! The cloths and equipment are just fabulous! Also according to several photos in my "Mustang Survivors" book, Big Beautiful Doll is often flown by a pilot who has a modern jet-style helmet (black and white checkerboard) and wearing a green jump suit! So there are other possibilities for the properly dressed mustang flyer!
Cheers,
GY
Old 09-24-2003, 02:54 PM
Rocketeer10

I am also thinking about adding droppable bombs. But that will come later after I work out the flying part of the project!
GY
Old 09-24-2003, 10:25 PM
goboom
My Feedback: (2)

Does it appear that the arfs full cowl would bolt on the kits firewall,there by doing away with the difficult shaping of the kits nose? If anybody's got both aircraft could you let us know?
I have a kit version thats on the back burner because I was unhappy with the assembly and shaping of the upper balsa blocks of the nose , I know its not impossible but this might be a easier option.
I have a zdz 50 with a heavily modified bcm muffler that is almost completely enclosed in the lower fiberglass cowl for the kit version which should provide plenty of power ( no 3d) without massive nose hackage i.e. muffler or carb hanging out. So if the dimensions are the same ,firewall to spinner backplate distance , width , etc , it should work ok. Thanks Jay
Old 09-25-2003, 01:15 PM
splais

Default Scale cockpit - Wow

Boy, did I find a great item. A company called Dynamic Balsa makes mid and high level scale warbird cockpits. The will have a cockpit available for the TF 1/5 P-51 ARF in a couple of weeks. the website below is a sample of their work. I'm already on the list. If interested give them a call at (815)856-2272. It's about the neatest thing I've seen that will be out for this plane. I can just see my Elite Forces pilot sitting in it now. the attached pic is a sample.

http://www.dbalsa.com/
Attached Images  
Old 09-25-2003, 01:34 PM
Blueskies21
My Feedback: (34)

Default RE: Scale cockpit - Wow

I been pondering back & forth between the Hangar 9 & new topflite and p51's.I think I have finally narrowed it down to purchasing the H9 P51 cause the retracts are included.My question is that I am on the fence towards going gas or a moki210.Anyone know whether the moki210 will fit in neatly without butchering the cowl up?I had the WM P51 with a os160fx and she was fast.The WM mustang is bigger than the h9 so I think a Moki210 outta make the H9 zippp!Now I am also thinking about a gas engine for the h9 as well-thoughts on this-which ones may fit without again mutilating the cowl?I am planning to strip the plane down when I get it & recover it in chrome ultracoat-a very sweet illusion I think-complete with "brass tube" applied rivets!!This did the trick awesome on my BVM F86 sabre in skyblazers scheme-also covered with chrome ultracoat-bad to the bone!

thanks in advance, Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 02:19 PM
splais

Steve, if you are talking about the 1.50 size H9 P-51, I think she will be to small for any of the 40-50cc size engines required to fly here well. I have some experience with the smaller gas engines like the MVVS/RCS. I had an MVVS 1.60 in a 14 pound PacAero GeeBeeY. Barely flew it, no vertical. I went with the TF because it is bigger than the H9. I have nothing against H9. I Just think the TF is a better plane for the gasoline engine. I am completely satisfied with the big TF AND it is about $30 cheaper than the H9. Also read the thread on that plane. A lot of people have had to replace the retracts it comes with.

PS: I have also found the cheapest, scale aluminum wheels for the P-51. Sold by Aerotech Models (612-721-1285, www.aerotechmodels.com) for $95/pr, they are cheaper by half of anything else I've found. Size is 4-7/8 x 1.5".

Name:	Qo40952.jpg
Views:	1937
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	63658  
Old 09-25-2003, 05:41 PM
Blueskies21

Splais

I checked out the aerotech website.Man their P51 is sweettttt but out of the question @ 2395.00 errr.I was wondering something tho,Being that their P51 & the top flite are the same size(within a 1/2 inch),I was thinking I bet with most likely no mods or very little that you could make their sliding canopy & gear doors work on the TF.I am now after more thoughtout research going with the TF.Let me know your thoughts on this Splais.That sliding canopy & those scale /riveted gear doors would be one sweet detail!!

thanks Steve
Old 09-25-2003, 10:08 PM
splais

Yes, I'm waiting to call them about the time you read this. I too saw that sliding canopy and thought hmmmm. I also thought there gear door, even the main door, was a lot nicer than the TF and would probably fit. The TF ones are a little chessy.

As a point of interest, the TF was obviously not meant to be a full-on scale airplane, but it has a lot of potential and since I could not get the custom job I wanted I am kind of in the middle of upgrading the TF as much as I can; things are looking good.
Old 09-26-2003, 06:39 AM
kram51
My Feedback: (3)

Yes the Aerotech canopy and details will fit the TF Mustang and Thunderbolt. They used to say so on the website but I haven't been there in a while. Many use the canopy for the T'bolt as the TF kit one is off. Also the exhaust stacks for the Mustang have much greater detail.

Mark
Old 09-26-2003, 06:42 AM
kram51

http://www.aerotechmodels.com/kit.htm
check it out

Mark
Old 09-26-2003, 02:19 PM
samparfitt
My Feedback: (43)

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Dennis,
I went to Toys-R-Us with no luck on that P-51 pilot.
They checked their web site and also couldn't find it.
When and where was yours purchased and also the brand and stock number?
Thanks,
Sam
Old 09-26-2003, 04:08 PM
BNDWTH

This is a great post! Just what I have been looking for.
I am working on this plane and have several questions for you guys. First I am making the main gear have fully functional inner and outer gear doors. I have the Robarts air retracts 622-5 with an extra piece that is used to connect the strut with the door. The problem I have is with the hinges on the inner and outer doors. I just can’t get them with out binding in some way or another. I have tried every hinge at the local hobby shop. I have attached two pics one is of the gear and the other is of my pilot. I do not remember where I found the action figure but I will send another post when I look it up. I do not have the pilot with all his gear in the photo. He does come fully decked out and ready for combat. Will you guys post some pics of your landing gear set up. I feel that will help a lot.

Name:	Tq48826.jpg
Views:	819
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	63872   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up49266.jpg
Views:	1500
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	63873  
Old 09-26-2003, 04:15 PM
BNDWTH

I have found the pilot web site. The pilot is a P-51 Fighter Pilot 9th Airforce 1944 Europe.
It can be found at [link=http://www.21stcenturytoys.com/products/productdetail.asp?part_no=CP33648]21st century toys[/link]
Old 09-26-2003, 05:56 PM
splais

Default Holy Cow! - It's Christmas

I came home from flying this morning and there were 3 boxes sitting on the porch.

Desert Aircraft said it would be 2 weeks, the DA50R engine came in 3 DAYS! It's beautiful, a piece of artwork actually. And it will fit completely inside the cowl with no cutting on the sides at all

The Elite Forces (Blue Box) pilot came. He is beautiful, came with everything a pilot would have as an accessory, that means it's cloth or leather and attaches, not molded on: helmet, oxygen mask, goggles, MayWest, parachute, pistol and more. This pilot beats everything else to shame.

Two manuals I ordered from Signal/Squadron Pubs came also: "P-51 In Action" and "P-51 Walk-Around". All I can say is after you look at these two manuals you will not have anymore questions on how a P-51 was built, colored or setup.
Old 09-26-2003, 10:52 PM
Blueskies21

Default RE: Holy Cow! - It's Christmas

Well the majority is in!I Placing an order for mine tommorrow-gotta have me one.I will also be buying the aerotech full gear door set & sliding canopy for mine-very sweet!I am planning to strip the plane down however & recover with chrome ultracoat in an scheme I have drawn up- complete with tons of hand applied rivets-turned out very awesome on my turbine F86..Will be done up in a racing circuit scheme ..What I would like to know is this-What gas engine/brand would be the best reccomendation if I want this thing to sizzle!!I am not looking for the typical "scale speed senario" that most guys are after with mustang's.I want this baby to screammm !!Engine brand/size & prop brand/sizes input to make my intentions happen would be greatly appreciated!! [8D]

thanks Steve
Old 09-27-2003, 02:46 PM
splais

Steve, I did tons of research and question asking. If I did not have Desert Aircraft practically next door I would have gone with the ZDZ60. I think it's the biggest engine you can get in this bird without completely screwing up the cowling. It is 6.5hp and only marginally larger than the 50cc.

And a PS: on the above post on the DA50. After letting the excitement go away and really looking at things it looks like I will have to cut a hole in one side of the cowl to allow for muffler clearance. When I get the engine all lined up so the prop shaft is centered the muffler end sticks out about a 1/4 inch it looks like.
Old 09-29-2003, 11:29 PM
splais

I finally got spacers and block made I needed to begin mounting the engine. It took 3" extensions and a 1" ply block to properly space the engine for the cowl. It now looks like I actually may get the engine mounted without cutting the side after all.

I really wish Top Flight had not pre-cut out the bottom of the cowl. Because of this I will have to cut the entire bottom of the cowl out in order to get it on the plane with the rear mounted inverted muffler. I am somewhat concerned about this fact and may end up having to fiberlass a support across the bottom before I am done. I should have the engine mounted in a couple of days.

I just finished putting the tail wheel doors on. Man, that was one labor intensive, pain in the butt project.

The Elite Forces pilot came - in about 20 pieces, that was another pain in the butt project, but he looks really cool.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:19 AM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

BNDWTH, One problem you may encounter with the inner gear doors is the fact that the fuse bottom is not correctly made to accept the doors. The full scale P-51 has a ridge that runs between the wheel wells to which the doors are attached. I built the TF 1/5 Kit but elected to not add the inner doors because of this and the shape of the bottom of the wing between the wells. I did buy the plyons, drop tanks, and exhaust manifold from Aerotech. They all work well. I used the interior that TF sold/sells? and it looks good too. For the Pilot I used an officer and gentleman. Plane has a G-45 and flys very well. Should have put in a rear intake engine but I had the G-45. BobH.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 AM
MustangFan

samparfitt

The Pilot that BndWth found is the one I purchased at Toys-R-Us for $20.00

Sorry for the delay in answering ... been away on vacation.

Keep the thread alive ... some nice info and pictures have been shared !

Thanks All !
Old 09-30-2003, 11:11 AM
splais

BobH, I already preped the TF exhaust manifold (a lot of work). Do you think the Aerotech manifold is enough more realistic to be worth the effort. I know the answer depends on your point of view; but from their web site it doesn't look that different.

Also for those that are interested: I have been able to find only one source that makes a scale looking aluminum tailwheel. It is Glennis. [Note: Forget it!!!! Glennis wants $100 for the tailwheel, still looking]

I'll try to get some engine and cowl pics posted in the next day or two.

And another big BS PS: I have the entire Robart retract setup on back order from Tower. I called Robart and they have the parts in stock. Tower tells me mid October at best. So what gives. The Tower price is $80 cheaper than Robart direct. Robart tells me why don't you wait a while for the Tower to come in. This all sounds a little like some kind of Catch-22 parlor game. What am suppose to do, just sit around with a plane I can't finish waiting until somebody decides they want to get around to shipping. This one kind of has my dander up. the only reason I'm going with Robart is because it is a complete drop in and the install is included in the assembly manual for the plane.
Old 09-30-2003, 12:29 PM
BobH

Received 21 Likes on 21 Posts

Splais, I attended the Scale Masters last weekend and Sierra had a TF ARF sitting on their gear. It looked very good. The plane was just being put together with no rudder or elevator, etc installed yet. I believe they had aluminum wheels on it as well so you might give them a call. I think the TF Exhaust is ugly lol!! and its fake looking as all get out. Atleast the Kit version is. What you get is half a manifold stuck to the side of the plane. I prefer the 3d version from Aerotech.. just my opinion. BobH.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.