Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > RC Boats General Discussion
Reload this Page >

Some questions on re-entering the nitro boat space

Community
Search
Notices
RC Boats General Discussion Discuss general rc boating topics here.

Some questions on re-entering the nitro boat space

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 07:03 PM
absentx

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Some questions on re-entering the nitro boat space

Hi everyone,

I used to run a Flightcraft tempest many years ago and I would really like to get a nice nitro tunnel hull or hydro plane for the calm nights at a place we vacation. The problem is, I feel like I left the hobby for fifteen years and came back and nitro rc boats just seem to be real hard to come by these days...unless of course I am just looking in the wrong places.

Does Dumas not even make a 7.5cc Tunnel Hull anymore??

Anyways, I was hoping I could list what I am looking for and get pointed in the right direction for nitro RC boats in 2016:

• I would like to spend some quality time building a project. I dont want an RTR.
  • An almost-ready-to-run-but-still-requires-a-good-weekend-of-work might be acceptable!
  • Tunnel Hull or Hydroplane in the 3.5 to 7.5cc range. I am just not really interested in the really big gasoline powered stuff just yet.

And the last question is can I even still by a new outboard engine? I have been to K&B/Mecoa's website and it seems like they might be available but I can't quite tell. Perhaps their production fluctuates? Plus I don't see them listed at any hobby shops for sale. Just kind of seems like everything I am looking for is kind of like wandering through a ghost town.

Get me up to speed on the state of the game!
Old 08-25-2016, 11:29 PM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Here are what I found, so far:
1) Boat kits at Tower Hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=BAE
2) 3.5cc Outboard at Tower Hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBLY&P=0

I know there are other sources out there that I don't know about. Mark Scott (OB Nut) and Jerry Dunlap, both here in the forums, can probably help you out even more since they both run tunnel hulls
Old 08-26-2016, 08:40 AM
absentx

Originally Posted by Hydro Junkie
Here are what I found, so far:
1) Boat kits at Tower Hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0093p?&C=BAE
2) 3.5cc Outboard at Tower Hobbies http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXBBLY&P=0

I know there are other sources out there that I don't know about. Mark Scott (OB Nut) and Jerry Dunlap, both here in the forums, can probably help you out even more since they both run tunnel hulls
Thanks for the info. Yeah I have seen what Tower has, but it also seems like that OS outboard has been discontinued based on what I see at other sites.

I did just call K&B and they seemed more than willing to still sell me an engine so that's awesome! Just said that the shops don't like to stock them much these days.
Old 08-26-2016, 11:22 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Actually, most shops don't stock them because they can't get them with any sort of regularity. MECOA builds what they want when they want from what I've experienced
Old 08-26-2016, 03:05 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I talked to Gary Preusse a few weeks ago, 3.5''s and 7.5's and he said that K&B/MECOA is starting work on the outboards again and they may be better than the older ones. A lot of people don't like dealing directly with K&B so using dealers in a better option.
Gary is outside of Chicago but has no website. He's old-school so call and talk to him at 630-279-2451. Dealers usually sell cheaper than manufacturers as they sell for retail. He carries a lot of K&B parts also if you want to go K&B but the O.S. is a much better motor.
Old 08-26-2016, 03:55 PM
ob nut

Don't know when Dumas stopped making the 7.5 kits, never purchased one myself. For current kits, there are a few out there that are very well designed. MLBoatworks are now being done by Paul Renna. I've asked him for his contact information. Dragon Racing boats by Chris Flynn. Chris can be contacted at [email protected] ... Thor racing boats by Carl Van Houten. Sorry, don't have Carl's contact. These are all "kits" cut out by laser. Easy to build and very fast for racing. Motors: For 3.5 "stock", the O.S. 21 XM II Air cooled motor is the way to go. Forget K&B, I have.. There are other powerheads out there for either the K&B or O.S. foot. OPS DAC, Nova Rossi, CMB, Rossi are just some. Nova Rossi and Rossi do make 7.5 motors.

If you are looking for anything ARR or close, contact Bob Kensill. He is currently liquidating his boats/motors/etc. He can be reached at [email protected]

Welcome back to RC and more to Tunnels!
Old 08-26-2016, 07:29 PM
absentx

Originally Posted by ob nut
Don't know when Dumas stopped making the 7.5 kits, never purchased one myself. For current kits, there are a few out there that are very well designed. MLBoatworks are now being done by Paul Renna. I've asked him for his contact information. Dragon Racing boats by Chris Flynn. Chris can be contacted at [email protected] ... Thor racing boats by Carl Van Houten. Sorry, don't have Carl's contact. These are all "kits" cut out by laser. Easy to build and very fast for racing. Motors: For 3.5 "stock", the O.S. 21 XM II Air cooled motor is the way to go. Forget K&B, I have.. There are other powerheads out there for either the K&B or O.S. foot. OPS DAC, Nova Rossi, CMB, Rossi are just some. Nova Rossi and Rossi do make 7.5 motors.

If you are looking for anything ARR or close, contact Bob Kensill. He is currently liquidating his boats/motors/etc. He can be reached at [email protected]

Welcome back to RC and more to Tunnels!
Thanks much!

Okay so OS does still manufacture an outboard?

Is that Aquacraft VS1 any good? I know its fairly ready to run, but might be one I'll consider too.

The ML boatworks kits looks great, definitely a do it all yourself kind of proposition. Do guys buy these just to run for fun? I'll enjoy the heck out of taking the winter to build one...
Old 08-26-2016, 07:50 PM
ob nut

Yes, the VS1 hull is a good hull. It's won it's share of championships years past. If you like to build, I've got plans for WOF boats designed by Jerry Dunlap. I started as a hobbiest, but now race in IMPBA.
Old 08-26-2016, 08:06 PM
ob nut

Kris may have a new email: krisflynn85@gmail.com

Here is his latest infoyear old)

The Dragon F1 Model Race boats are designed, manufactured and raced in Australia, they are also raced in the USA and soon to be Japan. I have been design/building and racing my own design on and off for over 10 years now. I can comprehensively say that these tunnel hulls are the most developed and raced hulls that have been tested BEFORE going on sale to the public since the Villain S1 from Power Surge Racing. My design originally evolved from the VS1 into what it is today.
The prices in USD below, also include paypal charges and postage to anywhere in the USA. Shipping to other countries maybe be more or less, so please enquire for accurate costs.
Kit Prices include a gel coat fiberglass cowl, all the laser cut components and birch plywood sheeting and pine blocks required to complete the kit. You will still need to buy super glue, epoxy, clamps and some components required to build the items flat and true. Multiple kits will receive a discount on postage.
Pro Build includes the kit, the build, plus sealing the inside of the hull during the build process and also one coat of sealer on the outside. The best quality epoxy is used to build and seal these hulls. These are basically ready for second coat of epoxy and clear coat or paint. The boats are basically built to order, so there is a short waiting list…but good things come to those who wait
All boats have built in radio box’s, with servo trays and also fuel tank hold down points in the nitro versions. All the thinking and hard work has been done for you!
Versions are:
M11 (31” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for P-Ltd (4S) racing in the electrics and Stock/Sport classes. It also makes for a great modified engine class boat in 3.5 nitro if good to medium conditions.
Complete Kit $260.00 USD
$270.00AUD plus postage
Pro Built Hull $440.00 USD
$460.00AUD plus postage
M13 (33” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for Full “P” (4S) electric power, Mod 3.5 Nitro racing in good through rough water conditions. Some crazy guy from Florida is also using this hull in Mod 7.5 nitro class. It would also make a great Superstock 45 nitro boat.
Complete Kit $260.00 USD
$270.00AUD plus postage
$460.00AUD plus postage
M18 (38” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for full Q (6S) and Mod 7.5 nitro racing. Perfect fit for a Novarossi 46 engine.
Complete Kit $340.00 USD
$350.00AUD plus postage
Pro Built Hull $530.00 USD
$560.00AUD plus postage
I do also offer a few extra steps for those that need the full package. These include, extra coat of sealer ($30USD), clear coating ($140USD) Includes extra coat of sealer), rig boat (as I would do with mine) with servos, steering/throttle/3rd channel rods and cables, drill transom for outboard ($POA), Test run and setup with your motor and lower unit ($POA)
Email [email protected]

Old 08-26-2016, 08:23 PM
absentx

Yes, the VS1 hull is a good hull. It's won it's share of championships years past. If you like to build, I've got plans for WOF boats designed by Jerry Dunlap. I started as a hobbiest, but now race in IMPBA.
I definitely want to build, but I don't think I want to go it completely alone with just a set of plans. Although I could be convinced!

I like the idea of a box of stuff arriving and then I go from there...really liking some of these ML boatworks...I could definitely do an 1/8th scale hydro and go inboard. I just want nitro, some building, and fast!
Old 08-26-2016, 08:24 PM
absentx

Kris may have a new email: krisflynn85@gmail.com

Here is his latest infoyear old)

The Dragon F1 Model Race boats are designed, manufactured and raced in Australia, they are also raced in the USA and soon to be Japan. I have been design/building and racing my own design on and off for over 10 years now. I can comprehensively say that these tunnel hulls are the most developed and raced hulls that have been tested BEFORE going on sale to the public since the Villain S1 from Power Surge Racing. My design originally evolved from the VS1 into what it is today.
The prices in USD below, also include paypal charges and postage to anywhere in the USA. Shipping to other countries maybe be more or less, so please enquire for accurate costs.
Kit Prices include a gel coat fiberglass cowl, all the laser cut components and birch plywood sheeting and pine blocks required to complete the kit. You will still need to buy super glue, epoxy, clamps and some components required to build the items flat and true. Multiple kits will receive a discount on postage.
Pro Build includes the kit, the build, plus sealing the inside of the hull during the build process and also one coat of sealer on the outside. The best quality epoxy is used to build and seal these hulls. These are basically ready for second coat of epoxy and clear coat or paint. The boats are basically built to order, so there is a short waiting list…but good things come to those who wait
All boats have built in radio box’s, with servo trays and also fuel tank hold down points in the nitro versions. All the thinking and hard work has been done for you!
Versions are:
M11 (31” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for P-Ltd (4S) racing in the electrics and Stock/Sport classes. It also makes for a great modified engine class boat in 3.5 nitro if good to medium conditions.
Complete Kit $260.00 USD
$270.00AUD plus postage
$460.00AUD plus postage
M13 (33” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for Full “P” (4S) electric power, Mod 3.5 Nitro racing in good through rough water conditions. Some crazy guy from Florida is also using this hull in Mod 7.5 nitro class. It would also make a great Superstock 45 nitro boat.
Complete Kit $260.00 USD
$270.00AUD plus postage
$460.00AUD plus postage
M18 (38” Length) in both Fast Electric and Nitro versions.
Perfect for full Q (6S) and Mod 7.5 nitro racing. Perfect fit for a Novarossi 46 engine.
Complete Kit $340.00 USD
$350.00AUD plus postage
Pro Built Hull $530.00 USD
$560.00AUD plus postage
I do also offer a few extra steps for those that need the full package. These include, extra coat of sealer ($30USD), clear coating ($140USD) Includes extra coat of sealer), rig boat (as I would do with mine) with servos, steering/throttle/3rd channel rods and cables, drill transom for outboard ($POA), Test run and setup with your motor and lower unit ($POA)
Email [email protected]

Ohh those look nice. No website for him though?
Old 08-27-2016, 12:01 AM
ob nut

Originally Posted by absentx
Ohh those look nice. No website for him though?
No, but Kris is a standup guy. I have met the man and his wife once at the World Tunnel Champs. Kris created the Dragons by studying the Villian S1, the predecessor to the VS1. I would vouch for him. .You can't go wrong with any of the boats listed so far. There are many fiberglass boats out also
Old 08-27-2016, 12:12 AM
ob nut

MLBoatworks are now being done by Paul Renna.
Want to point out, MLBoatworks Tunnels are done by Paul Renna. The MLBoatworks site is still owned and operated by Mike Luszcz. And yes, Mike has some very nice kits.
Old 08-27-2016, 09:26 PM
absentx

Want to point out, MLBoatworks Tunnels are done by Paul Renna. The MLBoatworks site is still owned and operated by Mike Luszcz. And yes, Mike has some very nice kits.
Ahh okay, thanks for the clarification. I see that you mentioned acquiring Paul's contact info. I noticed that ML's site didn't have any tunnel hulls, all making sense now!

Kris' boat kits look to be right up my alley, I'll probably contact him and start a discussion.

I guess the next question is what to start with size wise. I have to admit, with the time I'll put into building it, I want speed and awesomeness...and something that doesn't require quite as much concentration as an RC helicopter ..which I love by the way...Just want that nitro smell on a calm evening running across glass water.

Any major differences you can speak of between the .21 and .45 sizes?
Old 08-27-2016, 11:10 PM
ob nut

Speed = $$$ For easy, cost and availability, I'd stick with the O.S. .21 air cooled motor. K&B appears it may come out with a motor every blue moon. Seems they can sell all the parts for a complete motor, but getting complete motors out is unheard of. For 7.5, there's the K&B or Lawless foots. Powerheads are K&B, Nova Rossi, Rossi or frankenstien'n a motor.

WIth a well preped boat/motor, a VS1 and OS motor should get one into the high 40's and mid 50's. Have the motor worked on and one may get into the high 50's. The MLBoatworks, Dragon's and all others mentioned before or not are capable fast boats. Plus the fact that a .21 uses less fuel than a .45..

Last suggestion would be to stay away from the older versions of Dumas or any Prathers. Hot Shot Sprints are good boats still for playing around.
Old 08-30-2016, 08:20 PM
ob nut

Took awhile, but here is the information for MLBoatworks Tunnels:

Owner: Paul Renna - sales@ptiracing.com

PTI Racing is pleased to announce the acquisition of the rights to produce ML Boatworks Tunnel Hull kits. Mike continues to manufacture his scale and sport hydroplanes along with his mono's and other fine product.
All our kits are Mike's new full frame designed which is the next generation of the NX/PS295 hull that includes new ride pad surfaces and with variable dihedral technology

Some of the changes we've incorporated into these outstanding designs are:
1) New detailed instruction booklet
2) Introduced a new Lexan Cowl for (the 300 series kits only at this time), these cowls come with a life time guaranteed from crash damage
3) New complete hardware kits, these kits include all the hardware necessary to install your radio and motor on to our hulls
4) Trimmed fiberglass cowls, we now include a white gel coats fiberglass cowl that's trimmed at the factory to fit your hull (Except the 300 series hulls)
5) Vinyl windshield sticker
6) New Stumble block design for improved cornering
7) Coming Soon, clear Lexan Radio box cover

We are also announcing today our new kits due to be release soon
NX 335 33.5" Nitro Hull for Super Sport 7.5 class
NX365 36.5" Nitro Hull for the Stock or Modified 7.5
PX365 36.5 FE Hull, our entry into the "Q" FE class
NX400 40" Nitro Hull for Modified 7.5 and .67 Outboard class
PX400 40" A slightly longer Hull for rougher water courses for the "Q" FE class

Old 08-30-2016, 08:40 PM
absentx

Took awhile, but here is the information for MLBoatworks Tunnels:

Owner: Paul Renna - sales@ptiracing.com

PTI Racing is pleased to announce the acquisition of the rights to produce ML Boatworks Tunnel Hull kits. Mike continues to manufacture his scale and sport hydroplanes along with his mono's and other fine product.
All our kits are Mike's new full frame designed which is the next generation of the NX/PS295 hull that includes new ride pad surfaces and with variable dihedral technology

Some of the changes we've incorporated into these outstanding designs are:
1) New detailed instruction booklet
2) Introduced a new Lexan Cowl for (the 300 series kits only at this time), these cowls come with a life time guaranteed from crash damage
3) New complete hardware kits, these kits include all the hardware necessary to install your radio and motor on to our hulls
4) Trimmed fiberglass cowls, we now include a white gel coats fiberglass cowl that's trimmed at the factory to fit your hull (Except the 300 series hulls)
5) Vinyl windshield sticker
6) New Stumble block design for improved cornering
7) Coming Soon, clear Lexan Radio box cover

We are also announcing today our new kits due to be release soon
NX 335 33.5" Nitro Hull for Super Sport 7.5 class
NX365 36.5" Nitro Hull for the Stock or Modified 7.5
PX365 36.5 FE Hull, our entry into the "Q" FE class
NX400 40" Nitro Hull for Modified 7.5 and .67 Outboard class
PX400 40" A slightly longer Hull for rougher water courses for the "Q" FE class

Outstanding. Thanks again for getting me this info!

I'll post how it goes once I actually get moving on one.