Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

San Diego Battle 23 Oct2016

Community
Search
Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

San Diego Battle 23 Oct2016

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 07:24 PM
RichJohnson

Received 374 Likes on 238 Posts
Default San Diego Battle 23 Oct2016

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615...57674329148581

We had a great battle with just 6 tankers. It started to rain while setting up the town of Cartone so we hurridly put all the cardboard box buildings back in the truck. We had heavy sprinkles on and off but it was warm so we battled through and had a great time. We quickly migrated past our usual part of the field where the US camp and German camps were setup and fought on a lead in high area on the edge of the field, then went really deep into the field which has lots of tiny bushes and tank trails. Very tough terrain to fight in except for the hill we found. A good highpoint for long shots, but then also you become a target. Takes moving during reload for cover to a new degree.
My EZ8 somehow lost a shumo taillight guard that had pins soldered to it and glued into the hull. The guard had popped off but the soldered pins were still glued into the tank. I never wacked any bushes so Im still scratching my head how that one happened. Will probably build a new one out of brass stock since I cant afford to buy a pack for one brush guard. Also found an EZ8 hatch out on the field that was lost early this summer buy a group member.
Old 10-26-2016, 02:39 AM
superrod
My Feedback: (16)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like lots of good places to shoot and hide. The blown up jeep pic was cool. Look into coroplast sheets from a local sign company for making buildings. We used it all the time when I was making signs. Comes in colors, water proof, durable and easy to cut.
Jimmy
Old 10-26-2016, 04:38 AM
Jarlath

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can almost tell when you lost the bracket. As many of the earlier images of the Sherman show the bracket still in place.
Old 10-26-2016, 06:28 AM
RichJohnson

Yeah I know. I did look but as you can tell, its a very tough area to find anything back there.
Old 10-26-2016, 08:11 AM
phordman

no idea how you found that small tan cover, not to mention that hatch cover
Old 10-26-2016, 09:04 AM
Tanker 10

Photo's look good Rich, how did the Sherman's turret work, I know you worked long and hard on it.
Maybe we should buy metal detectors, I found one half of my metal P4 idler in the mud yesterday. Didn't know it was missing.
Old 10-26-2016, 10:02 AM
RichJohnson

Lol, thats funny when you find a part you didnt know you lost.

my jumbo does well after lots of turret work.
the m4(75) performed ok, the high elevation and depression will be a massive advantage for apple deflection on angles like the hill, but on flat ground the taigen chassis is so slow before any hits its a quick death. Looking at putting tamiya motors in it. It has a problem with all the wires in the turret though. The bundle still kinda moves around and gets hung up near the recoil servo when its near the rotation box. Im going to have to make a hanger in the turret to hang the wire bundle from to keep it placed right.
Old 10-26-2016, 01:21 PM
BludoTheSmelly

Heng long bringing out those 1/16 buildings soon can have some out there make a little town.
Old 10-26-2016, 03:47 PM
RichJohnson

I cant afford to buy buildings at this point. Besides, I have no place to actually store them. The cardboard buildings i make out of boxes fold flat and store in my garage a d still take up more room thatn I would like.
Old 10-27-2016, 08:40 PM
RichJohnson

Well, I made a new brush guard. I made it look exactly like the shumo one. The hard part was getting the pins that had been soldered to the bottom of the shumo brush guard out of the hull before I could install the new one.
The real pain in the ass is going to be prepping and painting the tank now.
I guess I can make some for my jumbo and Im going to try to make front ones now for my M4(75) Save me some money from buying so much shumo parts.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGP8440.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	2.49 MB
ID:	2187836  
Old 10-31-2016, 06:30 AM
MAUS45

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Like the area you had for the battle field. Has that desert look to it.
Old 10-31-2016, 06:51 AM
RichJohnson

Here is our album list on flikr. Im going to get the rest of this years battles posted up soon. Kinda started the flikr and stalled on it.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/136615053@N03/albums

you will see we have a huge area to battle in this vacant field next to the bay. We are right on the water so weather is usually great. It is truly desert condiditons out there. And the brush is low lie scale trees and such, very cool for tanking. We drive through it all over hence the tank damage.
Old 10-31-2016, 08:43 AM
RichJohnson

This is our battlefield. We set up tents in the lower left corner and usually set the town and german and US camps about 125 feet out from there and play in that area. This last time we migrated further out and into the brushier areas toward the middle top area.