Community
Search
Notices
RC Car General Discussions This forum is for all general discussions related to radio control cars. Check forums below for more specific categories if applicable.

Newbe question Car Wash

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2017, 01:52 PM
4NJBOYS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbe question Car Wash

Ok, the grandsons were out running in the yard and now have some very dirty muddy Trucks My Question is.
Since it says waterproof. what is the best way to clean up the Chassis I have a water hose and compressor Thanks in Advance Bill

Left out They are Redcat Blackouts brushed motors.
Old 01-15-2017, 08:07 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Glad to see you around again! Good to hear your kids were having fun though, that's what matters.

For cleaning, and if its really bad, I suggest taking out all electronics (Motor, ESC, receiver, battery, and servo.) Even though they say its waterproof, that most likely only means it can be splashed with water with no problem. After doing that, take the hose to the trucks! Make sure to spray all the dirt off of it, and right afterwards, spray the air compressor on the hubs and any other exposed bearings to get rid of all the water there. Then spray them with WD-40 to make sure they won't rust.

I suggest buying a can of electrical contact cleaner for the motor and cleaning them with that, and then oiling with WD-40 or 3-in-1 oil. Then reinstall with new double sided tape if needed and you're ready to roll!
Old 01-16-2017, 08:11 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

I run nitro trucks primarily, so my "cleaner" is a mix of things, but simple green works fantastic for getting RC chassis' clean. My cleaner is a mix of 2pt simple green and 1pt methanol. Spray on, let sit 5min, spray again, scrub with a toothbrush or similar the grungy stuff and hose it off with clean water. Blow off all water with compressed air (concentrate on where bearings are located). Once thoroughly blown off, oil all of the bearings exposed to water. I suggest a thicker oil than any aerosol type lubricant as those types of "lubes" tend to evaporate and leave little to no residue behind to lubricate. I like to use Dexron III transmission fluid, air tool oil, or sewing machine oil. As mentioned earlier - 3-in-1 oil is fine too.
Old 01-16-2017, 08:56 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=1QwkSport2.5r;12296673]I run nitro trucks primarily, so my "cleaner" is a mix of things, but simple green works fantastic for getting RC chassis' clean. My cleaner is a mix of 2pt simple green and 1pt methanol. Spray on, let sit 5min, spray again, scrub with a toothbrush or similar the grungy stuff and hose it off with clean water. Blow off all water with compressed air (concentrate on where bearings are located). Once thoroughly blown off, oil all of the bearings exposed to water. I suggest a thicker oil than any aerosol type lubricant as those types of "lubes" tend to evaporate and leave little to no residue behind to lubricate. I like to use Dexron III transmission fluid, air tool oil, or sewing machine oil. As mentioned earlier - 3-in-1 oil is fine too.[/QUOTE

Thanks 4 advice will do. Bill
Old 01-16-2017, 09:01 AM
4NJBOYS

[QUOTE=collector1231;12296577]Glad to see you around again! Good to hear your kids were having fun, though, that's what matters.

Never really left to let a couple discourage me when there are so many posters willing to Share and advise a newcomer, Thanks for Remembering Bill
Old 01-24-2017, 11:06 AM
The Saylors

To be honest i use the hose for certain trucks that i have taken apart enough to know what is and isn't water proofed. Slash for example is pretty much waterproof aside from the receiver box so when i'm GENTLY spraying i avoid that and direct spray into the wheel bearings (pushing water into them also pushes dirt in) and then finish with the compressor. Keep in mind this is my plan only when i have been out mud bashing as this would be overkill for a little bit of dust from a track or from the back yard. My worst enemy here in washington state is the stupid pine needles after it has rained, so frustrating to clean out and they stick to everything!