Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Ironically.....

Old 01-16-2017, 08:38 AM
Tanque

Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Ironically.....

....The timing was...... unusual to say the least. The public announcement of Open Panzer with my own decision. That discussion was very interesting....

I was going to wait until a little later this month but circumstances just dictate otherwise; this is late(r) enough.....

I have decided, in going forward, to no longer sell tank electronics, in my case specifically the IBU product line. I have already informed Ivano of this decision.

Understand this, I want to be perfectly clear. This in no way a reflection on the product which I personally think is one of the best of breed or its manufacturer Ivano. It is purely me. While I have striven to do right by my customers I just don't have the time to focus on the demands of this aspect of the business. Customers deserve a completely dedicated customer support which I can no longer provide

I enjoy 1/16 scale and all the myriad of developments( I must have some 40 1/16 scale models) in it and the electronics aspect is nothing short of amazing. That all said 1/10 scale is where I live, odd scale out, waste of time, loner scale, whattheheck scale, engineering scale; it's been called many things over the years- not all complimentary- but it remains my deepest interest in this hobby.

I do for the remainder of much of this year still have a full time day job. I have been a software developer since the very early 1980s and working for the same company for 45 years. Hand in hand with development is trouble shooting and resolving customer issues; of this I have had much experience and have done it quite enough! I plan to retire this year, it is time. I hope, with whatever time I have left to enjoy my hobbies, friends and music. This is intertwined with my decision to cease the hobby electronics business although I may try to market certain 1/10 scale parts and castings if there is any demand but only such things that I myself make in support of my own hobby.

As for my remaining stock of IBU products I will be holding the mother of all sales beginning next month, deep, DEEP ( really deep) discounts! Initially through my JCSA website, then via ebay for the remainder.

All the best.

Jerry
Old 01-16-2017, 09:52 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear you Jerry and wish you the best in retirement.

I also applaud you for trying. I used to import Voyager, Lion Roar, Mig, etc for 1/35 and it was a lot of work compared to reward and those were items that required zero after sale follow up. No questions to be answered or issues diagnosed from afar.

No one believes it until they try it, but once a hobby becomes a job it ceases to be what it was designed for, an escape. Nothing kills fun faster than finding yourself having to do it when you're not in the mood.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:00 AM
karolh

Received 33 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by ausf
Once a hobby becomes a job it ceases to be what it was designed for, an escape. Nothing kills fun faster than finding yourself having to do it when you're not in the mood.
So very true.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:01 AM
Perry S.

45 years with a single company in a high tech field is something to be applauded. Congrats on that.
Old 01-16-2017, 10:29 AM
sevoblast

Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Jerry, when you get the book 'What to do with all the spare time now that you have retired', don't believe a word of it. It's all lies! I used to work 10 hours a day five days a week. Now I work 12 hours a day 7 days a week. You will do the same, my friend.

Enjoy your retirement. I do enjoy mine. I think.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:01 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

Personally, I'm hoping this will give you time to take some videos of that off the wall scale you love so dearly. You talk a good game, but nothing can replace film at eleven, eh?

Hope you get all you want from your retirement, Jerry. You worked a long time for it and it's cool to see you getting your reward.

And your upcoming sale sounds like I won't want to miss it.
Old 01-16-2017, 11:25 AM
rescue119

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am new to this and looking at buying something like an ibu board. Does this mean the ibu will not be around anymore or just from this vendor. I don't want to buy something then have no support down the road
Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Crius
Personally, I'm hoping this will give you time to take some videos of that off the wall scale you love so dearly. You talk a good game, but nothing can replace film at eleven, eh?

Hope you get all you want from your retirement, Jerry. You worked a long time for it and it's cool to see you getting your reward.

And your upcoming sale sounds like I won't want to miss it.

I've made a few videos over the years( you can see on my AGW website) but I'm not even certain I ran a 1/10 model last year with everything else going on. When I do run I run, I find it difficult to shoot video and run at the same time. The last time tried I almost ran into and made a hole in my rotten fence. The problem for me and video making is I don't have a lot of space so just maneuvering keeps me occupied when I run one of my (gas) powered models as they aren't as nimble as an 1/16 electric. Most of what I do isn't very interesting to others.

Jerry
Old 01-16-2017, 12:32 PM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can still get IBU's from rctankelectronics.com if you don't grab any of Jerry's inventory.
Old 01-16-2017, 03:08 PM
YHR

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I guess it is fair to say I know exactty where you are coming from, and another prime example of why the Panzer project needs to be supported. Look at the people behind the electronics products. All of the business are managed by lone proprietors. All of these businesses are subject to the "hit by a bus" risk. As soon as the sole guy is gone, through his own doing or God Forbid something more sinister the business is done. Electronics is the hardest thing to support. It is easy to let the smoke out and a lot of guys just have little idea about electronics and require a lot of help getting set up.

I honestly believe that as Heng Long picks up their game there will be a time soon where the demand for third party electronics will be shrinking.

I found that since I retired my interested changed dramatically. Hobbies are kind of a spare time thing. Something to do to take you mind off your real job. Once the real job is gone suddenly you have time to focus on so much other stuff. I agree with what Robert has said. Once you retire it seems like you have less time, as you fill your days out with other stuff you want to do.

No truer words have been said about a hobby. If you want to kill your desire, make a business out of it.

Cheers

Dan
Old 01-16-2017, 05:21 PM
Tanque

Thanks for your thoughts and kind words gentlemen. The model tank fraternity has been an interesting one to get to know. All manner of personalities and careers are represented here. I will be fascinated to see if I change when I retire or rather my interests change, I've been doing this for so long it's difficult to imagine doing anything else. Thing is I know I'm far from the best at it; new techniques come into the hobby; new people, new companies but I pretty much stay with what I know.

My dad was an electronics enthusiast and Amateur radioman( advanced class); his hobby was his passion. I believe it kept him alive in retirement
for nearly 17 years after my mom died. I can't imagine how it hurt for him to lose mom but that radio shack was his escape and his workshop and all in it his salvation; he flourished in so many unexpected ways when he was alone; his strength in those dark times huge. I can hope that I could do as well with my model hobby and I haven't gone through anything as remotely difficult as he had.

I think it would be as some sort of an out of body experience to watch myself change so much as to not be involved in this hobby. I can't imagine my house looking like everyone else with nary a tank in sight. Scary thought, no?

I thought I might go back to school to study military history but really I've done the academic route; studied chemistry /mathematics and worked as a chemist for two years in Silly Valley before making the jump to IT permanently. Perhaps I'll take up Bocce ball or chess, Go? Bridge? Thai cooking?

Maybe I'll just continue making my tanks until I go to the tank shed in the sky.

And I agree 110% with others who've said once a hobby changes to business it isn't as fun; it was never my intent that it should do. And it hasn't and won't. I don't think I have it in me to be a real businessman.

Jerry

Last edited by Tanque; 01-16-2017 at 05:24 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 05:00 AM
ausf

Chess, Go and Thai food sound ideal.

Too bad Littlefield is gone, I could easily see your spending your retirement restoring 1:1s.

Maybe find a smallish piece and do your own.

Guys like Jentz and Zaloga all worked DOD, then followed their ambitions in WWII history after retirement. It's easier on the East Coast with proximity to the National Archives, etc, but maybe you can find a niche.

I'd buy 'Zen and the Art of Pak40 restoration'.
Old 01-18-2017, 06:33 AM
Tanque

Littlefield asked me if I could cast / replicate some parts for one of his restorations. These would have been well within my capability but
for some reason either he found originals or those he had were serviceable so it never happened. It was about an 80 mile drive one way
over there but it was a good 80 miles...

Jerry
Old 01-18-2017, 07:21 AM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Tanque ----

I also share your thoughts about turning a hobby into a business. I have some basic skills when it comes to having fun building things that make me happy, but to build something on a schedule and to the expectations of someone else would be a serious challenge for my limitations to overcome. I think everything I have scratch built is worth about $50,000 each, but everything I have built can be found on the internet for a few hundred dollars.

Good Grief !!! I think I just talked myself out of ever building anything again !!!
rex
Old 01-18-2017, 07:33 AM
Tanque

Never stop building Rex! I'm glad you are there... I picture you at your build station with X-acto knife and reference book in hand...

Jerry
Old 01-18-2017, 08:53 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by Tanque
Never stop building Rex! I'm glad you are there... I picture you at your build station with X-acto knife and reference book in hand...

Jerry

What he said. I get more enjoyment out of your builds, Rex, than anyone else on this forum.
Old 01-18-2017, 09:47 AM
RichJohnson

Received 373 Likes on 237 Posts

Yep. When I was casting and building for business, I had no time to model for myself. Though ironically i was just doing the side business to generate money for the hobby. If you think tanks are costly try model trains and brass locos.
I made my run and backed away from the market and have more fun with less finances now.
Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Rex Ross

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Jerry.
~~~~~~
What he said. I get more enjoyment out of your builds, Rex, than anyone else on this forum.
Crius
~~~~~~

Thank you both for your kind comments. Lately, I have been distracted from fun stuff to deal with some real life projects that needed attention. One of which is to get a cataract removed soon. No big deal, I can see pretty good, but I need to see gooder than I do now for this hobby.

Jerry ----
What's with the X-acto knife and reference book comment? You make me sound like an ancient old coot who builds ships in a bottle. I'll have you know I happen to be a high tech old coot who uses a Dremel tool and does Google searches for my ideas and plans.

But to be honest, once I did consider building a ship in a bottle just for fun. However, once I drank what was in the bottle I couldn't remember what I was going to build.
rex

Last edited by Rex Ross; 01-18-2017 at 01:57 PM.
Old 01-18-2017, 02:06 PM
Afrikakorps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enjoy your retirement Jerry, and take time to enjoy your hobby !

Cheers
Afrikakorps
Old 01-20-2017, 12:49 AM
Panther G

Jerry, I love the ,1 10 scale just wish there was more available in the hobby. I think it is the perfect size.
Old 01-20-2017, 04:59 AM
Crius

I would have to agree that the 1:10 scale tanks are very very nice, it's just that there are so few accessories and companion vehicles to go with them. If you step up to 1/6 scale there are endless possibilities as far as equipment and accessories are concerned.
Old 01-20-2017, 02:10 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Grats on the retirement, I hope you have nothing but ease ahead!
Old 01-22-2017, 07:40 AM
Tanque

Thanks gents. At the moment I'm a bit behind in preparing for this sale. I was hit two days ago with some sort
of stomach -flu thing( don't believe it was food related). Can't remember such a violent attack on my gut. My loo
and I are best friends... the worst part was the up-chucking... eeeeeeck! Any sorry for TMI, I am feeling a little better
and hope to back in the thick of it shortly.....

Jerry
Old 01-22-2017, 08:25 AM
Crius

I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. If the prices are right I might pick up a couple IBU 2s.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better Jerry. I know it's pretty horrible to be sick like that.

Last edited by Crius; 01-22-2017 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-22-2017, 10:59 AM
Tanque

Originally Posted by Crius
I'll be waiting to see what you come up with. If the prices are right I might pick up a couple IBU 2s.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better Jerry. I know it's pretty horrible to be sick like that.
Thanks, sale is on. just got finished updating site. At these bare bones( in several cases I'm losing money) there is no warranty( other than these are all factory new items), no returns for ANY reason and all sales are final. Other than that I ask for patience while I feel better.

Jerry

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.