Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Tanks
Reload this Page >

Questions for a New Build?

Notices
RC Tanks Discuss all aspects of rc tank building and driving here!

Questions for a New Build?

Old 03-23-2017, 04:46 AM
skip2a

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Questions for a New Build?

Decisions, decisions: I need your help and input.

As many of you know I purchased a battle ready tank and my son and I have become hooked on the hobby. We now have two Tigers and I am looking for something different. My plan is to repair the damage to the IR Tiger and give it to my son; we will build another tank for me.

My problem is I don’t know what to build. I have been told that a Tamiya kit is the way to go; everything is included and all I need to do is add a transmitter/receiver and battery. I have been looking at the different kits available and really do not want to build any of them. I do not like the Sherman and after running one I am not sure I want one right now. I have too many Tigers so that is out and I really do not like Russian armor. If I can’t find anything but a Tamiya kit I think I would like either the King Tiger or the Panther.

My questions are:
1. Being new to the hobby is it possible for me to build a tank from a different source other than a kit?
2. Can I convert a tank I like in a non RC kit to an RC tank? If possible what brands/manufacturers should I look at?
3. If I buy Tamiya electronics from another tank I believe the audio files will be for the tank it was designed for so I would have a non-correct engine/turret/gun sounds with it?
4. If I use a Clark board I can program it by using the “Radio” (http://www.sgr.info/usbradio/screens.htm) program and cable or do I need different software and knowledge to do this? I think that is just for my transmitter?
5. Drive motors, turret rotation, gun elevation, speakers are all parts that I can easily get and use in any body or are they specific to brands?
6. Ideas for something fun and exciting to build but that will be doable for a beginner to undertake?
7. Does the forum have the patience to answer my mountain of questions that I am sure I will have once I start this undertaking?
8. Is this something that I can do in a few months; I would like to have it battle ready by summer if possible (paint and details can be worked on later if I run out of time).

I really like the Hetzer and StuG (I know the turretless platform is a disadvantage on the battlefield but I think I can adapt), a PZIII is one I would like to eventually have and if worse comes to worse and I should stick with a kit I think the KT or Panther are my only choices for now.

Any and all input would be greatly appreciated. Post, PM, call. Tell me: “yah”, “nah”, “don’t be stupid buy a kit”, “I have an old . . . . . . . you should try to rebuild” . . . . . . . ..

Thanks for reading,

Skip
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 AM
Crius

Received 313 Likes on 259 Posts

A Tamiya tank is a very good idea. I just saw a full option Panther on eBay for a little over $400. Kind of tempted to buy that one myself.

If you don't go with Tamiya, most of the other tanks on the market are heng long style. They use the same rotation Motors and elevation Motors and gearboxes. You could pick any heng long tank you want and convert it to IR but I still think Tamiya is the way to go.

Last edited by Crius; 03-28-2017 at 04:09 PM.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:40 AM
CaptainB

You could also try one of the Taigen 1/16th kits. They have a sherman, Jagdtiger and other kits that go together really well. Or you could try a Hooben T55 or elefant kit and put in your own running gear. Tamiya is a pretty foolproof way of going though and of course, the quality is second to none.

Cheers

CaptB
Old 03-23-2017, 05:53 AM
ausf

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm surprised you had that reaction to the Sherman. I'm not a M4 guy either, but the Tamiya kit is one one the best IR battlers and easiest to build. My son was so adept at fighting with it, I had to cut it up and use the guts for a T-34.

I've done everything that you've mentioned from kits, to HL conversions to static kits fully RCed.

My advice is start with a Tamiya, they got together so easily, you know it'll work at Danville, etc and you'll learn everything you need to know to get started.

Conversions require a bit of knowledge and tools, not the easiest thing out of the gate. A Tamiya will give you a good sense of how things work. It's hard to design a servo recoil/barrel sleeve if you don't have an idea of how the barrel should react.

Here's a few of my static kits, converted. The T-34 is the Trumpeter kit from the Tamiya M4. Anything can be done, but I started by building the Tammy Tiger and Sherman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SagInyp1p_A https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNshy4DF5xM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOeATSurj68 \\

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zaj1U723VI
Old 03-23-2017, 06:31 AM
Panther F

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts

Is it possible? Of course, but depending on what you need to convert the static or the scratch build it will require more time and money plus experience.

Like the real thing, RC tanks are a compromise in design meaning that no tank will 'feel' the same or even drive the same and especially with different operating systems on board, a Sherman can feel like a Panther depending on how it's built and made of.

It is a fairly huge endeavor to take on but if you have certain requirements, I wouldn't just settle for a kit either. You can rob parts from a kit or part the build together. The big fun is gathering the costs and parts list together before you start out. There is more involved than just electronics and gear boxes... this you will find out and see that a kit is the easiest and cheapest option.

Just don't make it your only goal because it will test you in every area, depending on how hard you make the choice.

And since I'm editing because I can't spell worth a crap today, you can always count on just about everyone here for advice, parts intel and basically 'how to' on most everything tank related, so don't feel like you're on your own... just ask.

Last edited by Panther F; 03-23-2017 at 06:41 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-23-2017, 09:30 AM
skip2a

Crius:

At that price I would buy the Panther kit and then decide on what my next build will be. Unfortunately I have no luck finding things on ebay. I searched "Tamiya Full Option Kit" but no Panther in that price range.

Thanks,

Skip

Originally Posted by Crius
A Tamiya tank is a very good idea. I just saw a full option Panther on eBay for a little over $400. Kind of tempted to buy that one myself.

If you don't go with Tamiya, most of the other tanks on the market are heng long style. They used the same rotation Motors and elevation Motors and gearboxes. You could pick any heng long tank you want and convert it to IR but I still think Tamiya is the way to go.

Last edited by skip2a; 03-23-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: fix typo
Old 03-23-2017, 09:43 AM
TheBennyB

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

its not $400, but still a really good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56022-Tamiya...QAAOSw32lY0dfl
Old 03-23-2017, 10:46 AM
Panther F

Oh man, a heck of a deal AND at 100% feedback too.

Too bad I have a 300 dollar vet fee coming up.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:16 PM
Shorty54

" I have been told that a Tamiya kit is the way to go; everything is included and all I need to do is add a transmitter/receiver and battery."

Dont forget the Battle system! Tamiya 53447 $90
Old 03-23-2017, 12:40 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Just a heads up, we do offer a few different kits now. The Tiger 1 is a FULL build from scratch while the other tanks are prebuilt, you just need to assemble the parts (5-10) together and paint. The Tiger 1 build is especially good for beginners as it has a full color HD English manual (http://www.imex-model.com/TANK%20MAN.../TAG12501.html), comes with steel gearboxes, and also both an infrared unit and airsoft unit to build and swap between as you wish. It is a pretty good deal at $299.99 too, just add your control system you wish to use whether it be ours, Tamiya, or IBU/Clark/RCTA. I know you said you have plenty of Tiger 1 tanks so it might not be the best option, but it is a great build.

As for your questions:
  1. Sure! RCUniverse is a great start! Ask or tell these guys what you want and I think you would be surprised at the skill on this forum!
  2. Sure! Trumpeter is one of the main brands I get asked personally about converting but I've seen a few different ones RC'd. This answer will also depend on what you want to build as well as some vendors specialize in certain things.
  3. Yes. However, there are aftermarket boards that use the Tamiya code and can drive not only Tamiya tanks but other brands such as Taigen and Heng Long.
  4. That program is for the transmitter, you will need the IR TV remote control to program the Clark board, make sure to get one when getting your board! Once you get one you can save the IR codes on your smartphone and program in the field if you have an Android phone and have an IR blaster.
  5. These are usually specific to brands, but some are interchangeable. They all perform the same functions, but the way they do it is different. Best to stick with the brand of the tank for electronics, this will make installation a lot simpler if the parts are made for the tank already versus making custom mounts and such to fit them.
  6. I'm partial to this question, I've built the T1 many times doing the instructions: http://www.taigentanks.com/taigen/tiger-1-kit but any of our other kits will be much easier if you are just looking to assemble and paint.
  7. Of course we do! This is the best tank forum IMO
  8. Depending on the build and the time you spend then a few months is totally doable. 1 hour a day will put you a 7hrs a week and that is 28 a month. Most builds are 10-40 hours from scratch so you should have plenty of time, especially if you have some tiny quick young hands to pick up all the screws you drop! I know this would of save me some time lol!

Sorry, but I had to include a picture of my Hetzer Made by one of our great builders here on the forum GreenAmphibian (aka Herman) and I love it! Also, here in the coming months we will add the KT to the kit section, I just got the heads up today on it. Hopefully this helps, happy tanking!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20150420_122554.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	2.54 MB
ID:	2206681  
Old 03-23-2017, 12:44 PM
Crius

Bret, that is a good price, but the one I saw was $425 plus $45 shipping, but it's already gone. I should've grabbed it when I had the chance, but I hate putting stuff on the credit card. The interest is a killer, can ya dig it? I thought I put it on my watch list but I guess not.
Old 03-23-2017, 12:49 PM
Imex-Erik

Received 37 Likes on 33 Posts

Bret, that is a good price, but the one I saw was $425 plus $45 shipping, but it's already gone. I should've grabbed it when I had the chance, but I hate putting stuff on the credit card. The interest is a killer, can ya dig it? I thought I put it on my watch list but I guess not.
$5 says someone here got it lol
Old 03-23-2017, 12:56 PM
Martellus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

1. Do you mean like scratch building or something? Depends on experience with such things already

2. Yes but it generally takes a lot of work, and there are not that many non RC kits in 1:16 for us (especially since juckenburg retired, until his kits come back up under MK)

3. Yes

4. Depends on the board. TK22s use a little jumper and LED that you put on, then you use a specific remote (its really just like a tv remote), and it will respond to different buttons accordingly (clark has a chart for this). TK60s use a programmer cable you have to get + some software, but I havent used it so I cannot comment on it. I will say that after looking through the instructions and software for it and the IBU boards, the IBU3 software seems much more user friendly

5. Specific to brands and models of tank usually- there may be some compatibility within brands but there are generally multiple types due to the varying form factor of all the tanks

6. Too much subjectivity for me to answer, for me in that situation, I would have enough fun upgrading and doing small customizations to a tank

7. Yes, they have done it with me

8. Absolutely, depending on how much time you put into it as well as what you end up doing. I got my Stug battle ready in a day or two once I got all the parts in, most of the work was wiring, and then setting up the IR emitter in the mantlet - drilling the hole for that and setting up a tube for the right depth. That was very basic though, just getting the clark installed and battle ready, no painting or nice detailing obviously, and I have a wish list for things I want to improve on for it.
Old 03-23-2017, 01:30 PM
skip2a

Thanks for all of the responses, I'll read them in dept a little later.

Both Panther kits sold from the time I left work until till I got home. I'm always a day late and a dollar short it seems.

Thanks again,

Skip
Old 03-23-2017, 02:50 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

i think if i go to get a Tamiya i think my first one i would like the Pershing if they still make them
Old 03-23-2017, 03:22 PM
Shorty54

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
i think if i go to get a Tamiya i think my first one i would like the Pershing if they still make them
I really like my Pershing! Yeah its a little tight on the inside, but a little patience, with some wire re-routing and it works great.
Old 03-23-2017, 03:26 PM
Panther F

They still offer it! I cut down the speaker, used a deans battery connector and soldered the motor leads to the wiring it all fit wonderfully.

I converted mine to the M26A1 and is great to battle with.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	My M26A1.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	2206702  
Old 03-23-2017, 03:28 PM
Airbrushler

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Panther F
They still offer it! I cut down the speaker, used a deans battery connector and soldered the motor leads to the wiring it all fit wonderfully.

I converted mine to the M26A1 and is great to battle with.

That Looks Awesome
Old 03-23-2017, 05:46 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by TheBennyB
its not $400, but still a really good price.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/56022-Tamiya...QAAOSw32lY0dfl
Someone already grabbed it! Probably through your link, Bret.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:48 PM
Crius

Originally Posted by Airbrushler
I like the Pershing myself, but there's a guy at DTC that has one and he has it permanently set up to drive backwards because it throws tracks all the time.

Last edited by Crius; 03-24-2017 at 08:38 AM.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:22 AM
Panther F

I like the Pershing myself, but there's a guy at DTC that has one and he has it permanently set up to drive backwards because *** throws tracks all the time.
Gee... I hope he doesn't do that with his personal car because it doesn't steer right! (drive the car in reverse all the time)

There's always a guy... who doesn't believe in repair or maintenance. I've had my Pershing built since 2005 and used it to battle with IN STOCK FORM at Danville in 2013. Drives great because it's a Tamiya.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:34 AM
991tanker

My son and i had are first battle this past weekend too at danville,if it helps any the only tank i had little to no trouble with was my tamiya tiger it ran pretty much none stop all day.
Old 03-24-2017, 08:41 AM
Crius

Originally Posted by 991tanker
My son and i had are first battle this past weekend too at danville,if it helps any the only tank i had little to no trouble with was my tamiya tiger it ran pretty much none stop all day.
That's why we say Tamiya is the Gold Standard. And as for the M26, it's not Tamiya's fault that the US likes their tanks to have the sprocket in the rear. All tanks will perform better with the sprocket in front (IMHO).
Old 03-28-2017, 04:06 PM
Panther G

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Shorty54
I really like my Pershing! Yeah its a little tight on the inside, but a little patience, with some wire re-routing and it works great.
Pershing is one of the best kits they offer IMO. You just need to remember too use very good wiring hygiene when you do the build. it is a great battling tank also , and great fun to build.